My car

I have a 2002 Honda Accord. I am currently having issues. It is an automatic. About three months ago when I strart it, the TCS light comes on and the car drags along. After a while, when I get to a stop light, I turn the car off and on again. The TCS light goes out and the car starts accelerating at the normal rate. If I leave the car parked for long, the problem arises again. Recently it has gotten worse ass the weather has gotten colder (I live in Chicago). Each time I try to put it in Drive, it does not engage and instead lets out a high pitch sound. I then put it in 2, it engages and droives fopr a while then whe n I “shift” to "drive " it engages. At this point there is not reverse. It does not engage in reverse at all. It might be a transmission issue but I am not sure what type of issue.

From your description, I would say that it is definitely a transmission issue, but there may be an electronic issue in addition to the trans issue.

Regarding the transmission, some Accords of this era had their warranty silently extended, due to premature transmission failure. I would suggest that you check this out with a Honda dealership before you pay money for a trans bebuild.

If you have to pay for rebuilding the transmission, go to an independent trans shop that has been in business for at least 3 years. DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain unless you want substandard work at inflated prices.

If you can pull the TCS fuse, things may improve; of course, you, then, wouldn’t have TCS. What does TCS do, anyway?

You might have an ABS sensor gone bad or dirty.

Most (all?) traction control systems are controlled from the same circuitry that controls the antilock braking system.