2001 Saab

I have a 2001 Saab that a few minutes after starting it blows white smoke out of the exhaust and oil filter cap. It has 136,000 miles on it and I have always changed the oil between 3,000 - 5,000 miles. What could be wrong with it?

Oil filter cap?
I am assuming that you meant the oil “filler” cap.

Anyway, I would suggest that you check your coolant level to see if it has dropped.
From the sound of things, you could have a breached head gasket.

Also, be sure to check your dipstick of signs of coolant contamination of the motor oil.
If the oil on the dipstick looks like a milkshake, get the car to a competent mechanic immediately.

Please note that “competent” does not include the likes of Pep Boys, Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, or any other chain operation.

Yes, I was referring to the oil “filler” cap. I have checked the oil and the coolant and both are fine. My coolant level has not changed. I was wondering if it could be the Turbo?

Turbos can tend to be problematic, especially if the oil has not been changed frequently enough and/or if the correct specification oil has not been used. Yes, this could possibly be related to the turbocharger. Is the turbo making any unusual noises?

If it was the Turbo, how much would it take to fix it. I’m trying to figure out if it is worth fixing. It has 136,000 miles but is paid for and is in great shape up until this happened.

It blows smoke out of the oil filler cap?
Is this with the oil filler cap closed on top of the engine, or if you take the cap off the engine, you then see smoke come out of the hole with the engine running?

BC.

It comes out around the filler cap.

Try replacing the PCV valve and cleaning out the PCV hose.
A gunked-up PCV system will increase backpressure in the crankcase and can lead to smoke coming out of unexpected places, as well as increasing oil consumption.

That being said, I am still concerned about the color of the smoke.
White smoke usually indicates the presence of water or coolant in the cylinders, and that is not a good thing.
But–try what I suggested with the PCV and see if that makes a difference.

I tried to replace the PCV valve and every parts place I go to tells me that there is not a PCV on it to replace. I have also pulled and cleaned the hose that goes into the valve cover.

Some European makes use an “oil separator” (if my recollections are correct), rather than a PCV valve. Perhaps asking for that part would yield better results.

Your SAAB needs a new crankcase ventilation kit from Taliaferro; the latest factory kit is #6: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=456. Takes about 45 minutes to install. Without the vent system working correctly, eventually you’ll blow the turbo seal (and the turbo). Good luck.