2001 pt cruiser low beam problem

Hi Folks,

I am using my brother’s 2001 pt cruiser. The low beam head lights do not work in temperatures approximately between 25 and 35 degrees fahrenheit until the car is running for 20 to 30 minutes and I give the adjustable steering wheel a firm push to it’s low position. The funny thing is that they work fine in lower temperatures…go fiqure. They also work fine in warm weather. My brother said he had taken it to the dealer but they could not find a problem. That was a while ago and he doesn’t remember all the details. He hardly ever drove at night and the car has been garage kept. I’ve searched the Web and could not find this temperature related problem anywhere. And of course I don’t want to take it to the dealer and hear…“Sorry they seem to work fine…that’ll be $200.00 please”. Sorry for the sarcasm. Hope someone has a clue. Thanks

The problem may be with a relay if there is a seperate one for the low beams. The problem could also be within the light switch or the wiring from it at a connection point. I think it would be wise to invest in a service manual for the car. Preferably a factory one though others will work. Check Ebay for some manuals. Using it as a guide you will be able to trace the wiring and then checking the connections with a meter or test light probe you will be able to find the bad spot. You may also be able to locate the trouble by tapping on suspected trouble areas with a screwdriver handle while the trouble is occurring.

Thanks for the advice Cougar. I’ve been tapping everything on or connected to the steering column for a while but just an hour ago I seemed to have hit a sweet spot on the right side of the column. So I stuffed a map in between the column and ? to replicate the pressure. It worked. I’ll have to see if this works again.

There may be a bad connection in a connector causing the trouble.