2001 Montana Radio shows ERROR

I had trouble starting my 2001 Montana this morning. After the third try, the engine turned over but then I noticed the theft lock light was on and the radio displayed “ERROR”. I couldn’t turn the radio on or clear the code. I was able to drive to work without any other problems.
I don’t know if this is related, but the light for the spedometer went out some time ago. It came back on for a few days then went out again and has been out for a few months now.

I guess I forgot to leave a question – anyone know if I can clear the code, or do I have to take it to the dealer?

You should be able to re-enable the radio by entering the code that came with the vehicle. Follow the instructions in the owners manual. If you lost or don’t have the radio code, then you’re out of luck.

I guess I’m out of luck. I have the owners manual, but I don’t see a radio reset code anywhere.

It would have come on a separate piece of paper when the vehicle was new. See if the original owner copied it into the manual, maybe on the first page or inside the front/back covers.

And if that doesn’t work, go by a Chevy dealership and let them look up your VIN - the radio code should be stored in their database and they can give it to you again once they know you actually own the car (and haven’t stolen the radio out of someone else’s)

@momaimp

Be aware that the Chevy dealer will probably charge you to look up the radio code

Like it or not, this is standard procedure

If they do reprogram the radio, insist that they write the code in your owner’s manual

As far as the theft light, you probably have a problem with the passlock sensor . . . common

BTW . . . how old is the battery?

Since radio theft isn’t common around here, I took a piece of masking tape, wrote my radio code on it in black marker, and stuck it inside my glove box for quick reference. That way it’s always handy after I disconnect my battery.

You may not have a problem with a code that needs to be entered. Instead, the radio may have gotten its little brains scrambled by the low voltage condition and need a “reboot”. Look in the manual for which fuses feed the radio. There are usually two–one for the main power and one to provide “always on” power to keep the clock and memory alive. Pull them both, wait about 15 minutes, then put them back in. Check to see if it works normally. You may need to repeat this process if the first try doesn’t work. Good luck.

Oblivion might be on the right track…Have your battery and alternator tested for voltage and output…