2001 Mitsubishi Pajero Problem with Starting

I am writing from Mwanza, Tanzania in East Africa. Two years ago we imported a 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero (same as Montero) from Japan with 60,000km. Soon after the car arrived in Tanzania we started having problems with getting the car started. Every morning it takes 2-3 turns of the key to get the car to start. If we drive the car for more than 10-15 minutes, stop the car and then try to start it again the problem gets worse and it can take 10-20 turns (and sometimes up to an hour) to get the car started. We have had the car checked out at several garages and no one can figure out what is wrong. The starter actually sounds like it is turning over appropriately. The battery and spark plugs have all been replaced. The fuel injectors have been tested and seem to be functioning. Computer diagnostics have been run and there are no error codes. My mechanic now thinks the problem is the crank sensor and we are waiting for this part to arrive from Dubai, UAE. Does this sound right and does anyone have any other thoughts on what may be wrong? I am strongly considering the option of driving this car off a cliff.