2001 hyundai accent clutch problems sitting unmoved for 5 years

So I have this old hyundai accent sitting in my driveway. It was the car my sister learned to drive manual on and she beat up the clutch pretty bad. After a while the car couldn’t be driven, and the repair guys said it needed a new clutch. We didn’t get it because they said it would be 800$, the clutch being 200$ and the labor 600$.
It’s been sitting there for five years, and no one has done anything with it.
The engine looks all rusty but i don’t know what im looking at. I have no experience with cars. Also nobody I know knows enough about cars to tell me anything.
Is there some way I can tell if the engine is good before having it towed to a garage? I don’t know how to start the engine, or if it can be started. Any help would be great, I don’t know what to do, and I need to do something as soon as possible.

The fuel could be in rough shape. Is the tank full?
You not knowing anything about engines, it would be difficult to talk you through it.

About where are you located? If you’re in CT, I’d give you a hand. No doubt others here would as well.

Nope, I’m in Maine.
I’m going to try to post some pictures, but I don’t know how much it could help. There’s no gas in the accent, as far as I know. I bought some startron enzyme fuel treatment to put in the car, but I don’t know how much that’ll help.

If you or anyone you know don’t know anything about cars, then you’ld probably be better off selling it on Craigslist as a Fix-Er-Upper. The five year old gas is going to be a problem. The clutch is shot. The brake rotors are rusted. The brake hydraulic system probably has moisture in it rusting out components. Etc…

So because you aren’t capable of any of these repairs if required, instead of spending hundred’s or thousands of dollars to have someone else do these repairs, sell it to someone who can perform the repairs and make a few hundred bucks.

Tester

I agree.
It has to be a DYI job for it to be cost efficient.

Some tech high schools may be interested in getting it to run again for you. You’d have to see if there are any in your area that do that sort of thing.

If the cost for the clutch was $800 5 years ago, it will be $900 now–prices have gone up over the years.

If the car has really been sitting untouched for 5 years, it needs a new battery, fuel tank drained, engine oil changed, filters, extensive brake service, probably tires, and an inspection to check for any other needed maintenance and repairs. If you’re paying a shop to do these things, it’s going to be a couple grand.

You could sell it for $500 or start paying the repairman.