2 Clutches in 75K

Hello,

We have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and were just told the clutch is gone. This is the second time we’re having to replace it – the first one went at 50K. I don’t think we’re driving that badly - we’ve got a '98 Neon that has never needed a clutch replacement.

So we’re convinced that there’s something in the engine that’s destroying our clutches. The car is at the dealer, and we’ve asked them to look for anything while they’re taking it apart. Do people have specific suggestions of what they might look for?

The dealer said they almost never see clutch problems on the Elantra. Any input would be appreciated! I’m worried that at this rate the car just isn’t worth it and I should trade it in for a Neon!

i was thinking of buying a used hyundai accent and while reading consumer reviews, someone mentioned something having to do with the cutch being cheaply designed and melting around 100k and destroying the master or slave cylinder. If i were you, i would trade it in. If you want to read the review, go to cars.com, research 2000 hyundai accent, read consumer reviews.

They don’t make Neons any more, so forget that idea.

You have “been told” the clutch is bad, but you didn’t indicate in your post that you were having any problems with the clutch.

What, exactly, is the problem with the clutch? Was it slipping? Were you having difficulty shifting? Give us some details, please.

There is nothing in the engine that’s destroying the clutch, and I don’t think this is a problem common to Hyundai vehicles. If that were the case we’d be reading about it on a daily basis, and that’s not the case.

How many people drive this car?

Can you describe the problems you were having with your clutch that caused it to be replaced?

Thanks for the replies!

This time the clutch was slipping and it was hard to accelerate; I was having trouble getting the car to go 40mph.

Last time the clutch was just slipping.

My wife and I are the only ones who drive it. I don’t claim to be a top notch driver or anything, but I’ve never had to replace a clutch in any other car I’ve had. Certainly not after 25K!

Assuming we’re not driving it horribly, is there anything else that could be going on?

I was curious if your problems were related to the clutch not properly disengaging. (which, if the hydraulics are good, can be related to the dual mass flywheel used by Hyundai).

It’s difficult to determine what’s wrong. The dealer who has it apart and can see everything is in a better position to comment.

Some things I would look for include:
1: At your 50K replacement:
- Did you put in new or rebuilt parts?
(I have seen some bad rebuilt clutch parts, though not common).
- Did they replace both the pressure plate and disk?

2: Did the clutch pedal have adequate free play at the top of its travel?

3: If you take the dealer/mechanic out for a ride and you show him how you use the clutch, does he provide any feedback that may be related to the problem?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

I’m pretty sure they used a new clutch the last time, I’ll double check though.

Just to be sure, I should ask them to check the hydraulics, the dual mass flywheel, and whether the pedal has adequate free play at the top of it’s travel? I have to confess that I don’t really know what these things are, but I can definitely pass things along to the dealer.

I will ask them to go for a ride with me too to make sure I’m not doing something awful.

Thanks again!

I found this website:

which seems to be full of people with similar issues. In particular, one person said:

I have been driving a 2005 Elantra GT for about 2 years now. It is currently at 65K miles. We had to replace the clutch shortly after we purchased the vehicle (at ~35K miles). Like me, the shop owner was surprised at how early it was.

Well, the clutch is starting to feel odd again (always has been a bit ‘high’ in the stroke to engage - just like every Hyundai I have test driven - even new).

"So, I did some research and found that the slave cylinder has a small spring and plate that is designed to restrict fluid return to the clutch fluid reservoir which in turn forces the clutch to slip between gear shifts (apparently a design to make it ‘easier’ to drive - maybe if you don’t have any clue how to drive a manual tranny). There are many instructions out there that tell you how to remove this to get a more positive feeling clutch like these: http://www.velocide.com/clutch-mod.php and http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/slave.php.

It would make sense that a clutch designed to ‘slip’ virtually every time you shift would wear down very quickly. How this cannot be a design flaw that should be addressed or, at the very least, acknowledged, I don’t know. Mention this design next time you talk to the dealer and see what they say. I have asked a few times and never get a response, they always change the subject back to my driving - well, guess what I also drive a 1963 Chevy pickup that has over 250K on the current clutch… I think I know how to drive a manual transmission."

Does this seem reasonable? I simply don’t know enough about cars to judge!

I was unable to open the links, but yes, this sounds like a reasonable explanation. It sounds like they sacrificed longevity for smooth shifting. These type of compromises make me crazy. Cars now are loaded with things designed to do the thinking for us…and not always well.