2001 GMC Sierra 1500 - Headlights are always on

automatic headlights stay on always, even in daytime

Are you sure they are automatic and not DRL’s?

There is a light sensor on the dash, is it covered by something?
Can you manually turn the lights off by rotating the headlight switch counter clockwise?
Is this a Canadian vehicle?
The sensor on the dash is a common culprit.

1 Like

Agree on checking the sensor on dash. Mine (a 2005) had come unscrewed and fallen just below dash level when I bought it used, so headlights were always on. It just sort of half turn screws and then clicks into position. Pretty easy to dislodge, I guess, although I haven’t had an issue since I put it back into position (which was kind of a pain to do).

Just turn the headlight knob to the off position. Turn it on when you need them on.

Is it really worth it to you to pay someone to fix this on a 20 year old vehicle when the work around is so easy?

2 Likes

I have tried all of these but none worked. I think that i’ll just have to live with it.

The BCM controls the functions for the headlights.

Tester

This truck is old but only has 130,000 miles,no scraches or dents,looks & runs like new.I like it

They are pretty solid and reliable. They do have some goofy electronic glitches with the gauges and a few other annoyances, but overall, pretty decent.

You might try replacing the sensor on the dash, if it’s cheap. I’m not sure if it would default to headlights on or headlights off if the sensor had failed, but you might could investigate that further.

I believe, if it is a Canadian built for Canada use you cannot shut the headlights off.
And of course there are ways around this “feature”.
Does the V.I.N. start with a number 2 ?

This truck has daytime running lights as did all GM vehicles in 2001. The headlights are on half-power until the running lights are selected, then the lights go to full power and the tail-lights illuminate.

If you don’t want the DRLs on, there is a fuse labeled “DRL” in the fuse block inside the left front door jamb. Remove the fuse and they’ll go out forever but your headlights will still work.