2001 Ford Explorer car radio

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer with the original radio. In the past month, there have been a couple of times when I first start the car and only some of the buttons on my radio work. The presets 2, 4, and 6 as wells as the seek buttons will not work. However the presets 1, 3, and 5 do. After I drive for a few minutes, the buttons start working again. I live in Austin so the weather has not been very cold and the problem seems to occur when it is humid. Is this a sign of the radio dying or a larger electrical problem with the car? Thanks.

The trouble is within the radio. No big deal. If you can’t live with it you may want to check out Ebay for a used replacement radio. It would probably be less expensive than repairing yours.

I agree with Cougar, except I’d go with a Crutchfield replacement. Inexpensive ($100 or less) radios and they include all the adapter plugs and instructions. Of course, you could also spend more money and get a fancy replacement, but for under $100 you can get a good basic radio with either CD or tape player. Ford factory radios are generally pretty low quality, at least they always were when I did stereo repair and I’ve not seen any evidence that they’ve improved since then.