2001 Ford Escape Cutting Off

I have a 2001 Ford Escape, 5 speed. Other than the usual maintenance issues, I love it. However, about 8 months ago I would go to start it and it wouldn’t start (to go to lunch at work); it had been sitting still, in good weather for about 4 hours. What happens is, I can get it going, but everytime I put the brake on or try to change gears, it dies. After it rests for a while, then it’s fine until the next time. I might add, that I can get it to duplicate the error by running the air conditioner and cutting it off then it will die. I have had it to the Ford Dealer, and two other reliable mechanics and they cannot seem to duplicate the problem. They have run diagnostics on it and still nothing. Also, the rear hatch and passenger doors will from time to time lock up and won’t open. Please help.

Has anyone checked to see if the car’s computer has any error codes stored? Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

Might be a gunked up idle air control valve.

Heres a link that should help.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/626205-01-escape-not-staying-in-idle.html#post4915818

Yes. But they couldn’t find any codes stored at all.

Just wanted to thank those for their suggestion on fixing this problem. Again, I took it to the dealer and they ran yet another diagnostics which cost me 88.00 plus tax. At the suggestion of a Honda mechanic, I bought a bottle of engine additive (5.00) and put it in a full tank of gas. After about a half a tank, it started sputtering and spitting and stalling, and after a couple of dying incidents, “straightened” out. Ever since then, it has not idle rough, or reved up and down, or died for no reason. I now am going to continue put the additive in after every oil change. Thanks again.