2001 Dodge Intrepid Transmission Service

In the past whenever I’ve had a transmission service done on any of my cars it was a matter of just draining the system and replacing the fluid. In the past couple of years I’ve seen auto repair services advertising “Power Purge” transmission fluid replacement. AAMCO seems to be the only shop around here that offers this service. I’ve read bad reviews about AAMCO and I’m hesitant. Is having a “Power Purge” service really better than the old fashioned way of changing transmission fluid?

These services are often referred to as transmission flushes. They are very popular with a lot of chain shops and quick lube places because the machines are very easy to use and you can make a lot of money with them. Still the best way to do this service is to drain the system, change the filter, and refill with the proper fluid. That last part is extremely important with your Intrepid. Do not EVER use anything that does not meet spec for Chrysler ATF+4. The fluid is more expensive than others, but it’s worth it since it won’t destroy your transmission.

Thanks for the information, I did not know about the specific transmission fluid.

As mark noted, just have the pan dropped and filter changed using ATF+4 only. I’ll add 2 things. One - don’t go to AAMCO locations. Two - do the pan & filter every 30K miles and you’re good to go.