To flush or not to flush?

I’m going crazy about this? I have a 2001 dodge neon with about 114,000 miles and was told i needed a tranny flush by my mechanic. I’ve been searching around on the internet to get an idea of what this actually is and got some very polarized opinions on it. Getting a new car is not an option for me right now. What do you think?

Forget about the flush unless the fluid is contaminated, otherwise just drop the pan, change the filter and refill using only ATF+4. I see way too many transmissions crossing my bench which are there due to improper or lack of servicing.

transman

I recommend that the transmission be serviced. Specifically, drop the oil pan on the trans, clean it, replace the filter and refill with the proper mopar fluid (probably ATF + 4, but check the owner’s manual).

Transman said it all. we get this post often, and all those shops want to pay off their flushing machines. Changing fluid and filter (where possible)should be done every 40,000-50,000 miles as a routine maintenance activity. My old car at 115,000 miles has had 3 fluid & filter changes. If you tow a trailer it should be done more often.

A transmission flush is not the same as routine transmission service, which (as everyone else has said) consists of dropping the pan. Ask for the routine service and give a loud NO! to the flush offer.

Me too…