2000 Toyota Camry interior light inop when doors are open

Interior light does not work when I open any of the doors. The light works when I manually turn it on. My mechanic changed the dome light assembly with a new one an it still does not work when I open any of the doors. This is a 2000 toyota camry.

What is being overlooked here?

Are you sure the 3 position (off/on/door control) switch on the light is set to the ‘door control’ position?

Are you sure the 3 position (off/on/door control) switch on the light is set to the 'door control' position?

And that it works?

Perhaps the door lights on is a different circuit than the dome light control and you have a blown fuse.

Count your blessings that it failed this way. My 1998 never fails to turn the lights on when I open the door, but it DOES fail to turn them off when I close it. As a result, I simply turn the dome light to the off setting so it never comes on, but at least the battery doesn’t drain.

First guess would be the dome light switch. It sounds like the mechanic already replace it though. This is something a qualified mechanic who can read a schemitic should be able to trace out without much problem. If gthey keep trying to fix it by replacing things, maybe go to an auto-electrical shop or somebody who has a mechanic who specializes in elecgtrical work

Between the interior light and the door switches is the “INTEGRATION RELAY” which controls the interior light “fade out” if equipped. This dome light relay is located next to the fuse box under the left side of the dash. Ask your mechanic to check this.