2000 Ford Ranger

Today my 2000 ranger had some strange things happen. The speedometer quit working, the ABS light came on, and the shifting was very erratic. The speedometer will come on at about 40mph. The first shift (very hard) causes the OD light to flash. And the check engine light stays on. Is there a sensor or something that could cause all these symptoms?

Bob

Yes. And, or, wiring. Repair shop.

Probably a defective Vehicle Speed Sensor. I think it’s located on the rear axle on this year model???
It should not be a big deal.

didn’t the cel warning light come on?

if it is on go to autozone. they will read the code.

if it is the VSS vehicle speed sensor, you can easily replace that yourelf (with a little effort, climbing under the truck and a little determination) it costs about 120.00 and takes about 20 minutes to change. OK, maybe 30 for the first time. (you have to figure out how to unsnap the old one, without damaging the connector, but looking at the new one helps figure that out.) the VSS is on the top of the rear axle, in the middle, near the differential hump. its been a while since i had to change mine, but i beleive it is on the forward side of the top of the axle.

First off thanks for all the help. I did neglect to mention I have a 2WD truck. Looking for parts I have been told that there is only an ABS sensor not an actual speed sensor. Could this sensor cause these symptoms?

Every car has a VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The ABS sensors are optional. But your first step needs to be doing something about that check engine light. It is trying to give you the right answer.

Thanks again. I will go to Autozone and ask for a reading.

" " " if it is the VSS vehicle speed sensor, you can easily replace that yourelf (with a little effort, climbing under the truck and a little determination) it costs about 120.00 and takes about 20 minutes to change. OK, maybe 30 for the first time. (you have to figure out how to unsnap the old one, without damaging the connector, but looking at the new one helps figure that out.) the VSS is on the top of the rear axle, in the middle, near the differential hump. its been a while since i had to change mine, but i beleive it is on the forward side of the top of the axle. " " "