2000 Chevy S-10 Fuel Filter Stuck

I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 pickup with 48,000 miles, and I just took it into the dealer for some routine maintenance. The fuel filter was long overdue for replacement (it is still the original), but when they tried to replace it they weren’t able to get it off – they said that it was “froze up” and definitely not coming off. They offered to replace the entire fuel line (including a new fuel filter) for $400. Should I have them do it? Or, is there a chance I could find somebody else that might be able to get the old fuel filter off? Are there any other solutions? If I really need to replace the fuel line, do you have any suggestions for getting it done without spending too much?

Take it to another mechanic and see if they can get it off. If not the independent might have a cheaper solution. Either way I highly suggest you get this replaced.

I don’t know your vehicle, but it sounds like they didn’t really want to work on it. Take it to an independent garage and talk to them about the problem. In the meantime there is no reason to not continue to drive the vehicle. Who told you you need to replace the fuel filter?

Thanks for the advice so far! The owners manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. According to that, it’s long overdue. I will call around and see if I can find somebody else to give it a shot. Thanks!