Chevy s-10 fuel filter

Hello folks,

I have a 1996 chevy s-10 pickup. It has a fuel filter mounted on the underbody which has never been replaced. It is now rusted to the frame. My mechanic wants to replace it, but is afraid that if he tries to, he will either bed or screw up the lines just getting it off. Anyone run into this kind of situation, and how you handled it?

Thanks

Charles Sona

It is not uncommon for many GM owners who simply wanted their fuel filter changed to end up replacing the steel line that threads into the filter. I saw this much more often in the east (strange). So if you want the filter changed you may be looking at changing the line also. Good for your mechanic not to proceed before he informs you of the consequences.

No but all I can think of is that redneck guy, Get her done, and if ancillary items fail along the way it is time to replace them.

Thanks for your response. He also said to me that he is not just worried about changing the line (I’m no expert here, so bear with me) but about flaring it (?) … I get the impression that he is unsure that if he takes it apart, he won’t be able to put everything back together. Any thoughts?

As a fellow '96 S-10 owner, I can appreciate how tough filter removal is even when the fittings are not rusted.

It can be done, but it’ll take some patience…and LOTS of PB B’laster sprayed and soaked on the fittings. Put a crescent wrench on the filter nut, brace the wrench against the body/frame, and it’ll eventually come loose.

If the line ends up snapping off or something, that’s not a huge deal because you’ll only need to replace that particular section of the steel line; it becomes rubber around the rear wheel on one end, and near the transmission on the other side. It’s not a one-piece steel line from tank-to-filter, or filter-to-engine.

I will pass your thoughts on to my mechanic. Thanks for your quick response, you folks are awesome.

Charles Sona

If he can find a replacement part that is already flared then that part is delt with. This could turn into a remove the bed of the pickup to replace the line (easier to get to the top of the gas tank this way)I can’t picture which way the offending line is routed (towards the engine or towards the tank).

Get your parts lined up before you destroy the existing line. If you do take the bed off I would be putting in a fuel pump (even if yours shows no problem).