20-year-old woman killed by rock thrown into her moving vehicle

Hope that the one responsible is imprisoned for the number of years she likely would have lived.

UPDATE:
Sheriffs tweeted just after 10 p.m. Thursday night that a previously published truck of interest and its owner were not involved in Alexa Bartell’s death.

UPDATE April 26

This crap seems to be a fad in the St. Louis area every few years. I seem to recall hearing about one not that long ago. The soft on crime prosecutor that has made national news doesn’t help either.

2 Likes

Anothereason to have a dash camera.

About 35 years ago in NJ, during the winter, an elderly couple died when some kids hurled a frozen bundle of newspapers from an overpass over I-280, and it went through their car’s windshield. The driver then collided with a concrete abutment, the car was totaled, and the driver and passenger both died. The kids were caught, and they served the longest term that could be given, in view of their ages.

Ever since, every highway overpass with a sidewalk has a very high fence that curves inward at the top, in order to prevent that type of incident from happening.

3 Likes

If there are no witnesses, how does any law official prosecute the perp?

1 Like

In this instance, other vehicles were also hit by the rocks and perhaps one of those victims provided a description of the truck and that is how the police tracked them down. And perhaps, under intense police questioning, someone gave up the goods and those “accomplices” will testify as an “eye witness” for a lighter sentence…

You are more optimistic of a conviction than I am. Even if there were witnesses …

"On July 1, 2015, 32-year-old Kathryn “Kate” Steinle was shot and killed while walking with her father and a friend along Pier 14 in San_Francisco … a jury acquitted the man charged with the crime of all murder and manslaughter… and federal manslaughter … … charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. He was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm … but that conviction was overturned on appeal …

In September 2015, the Steinle family announced their intention to file a lawsuit against the City of San Francisco, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Bureau of Land Management, alleging complicity and negligence in the death of their daughter … dismissed … also dismissed … claim against ICE … …Appeal court ruled that Kate’s family could not sue the city of San Francisco

From what I can tell, most analysts believe [part of] the problem was this crime was overcharged, should have been charged as some sort of preventable accident.

Remembering stories of kids throwing rocks of a bridge onto cars on the highway below for kicks.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rocks+off+bridge&rlz=1CAYFOO_enUS1024&oq=rocks+off+bridge&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l5j0i15i22i30j0i22i30j0i390i650.13008j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2 Likes

Sounds like a tragic accident caused by one who does not khow to handle a gun.

My friend found a loaded .38 caliber revolver in his Section 8 apartment building stairwell.
Probably lefthere by kids.
He called the county sheriff.

Had I found it I would have kept it.
Could it have been cleared of use in a crime?

And if it was used in a crime you would have been implicated in that crime. Why should the police believe you if you say you found it?

We were at a hotel on Virginia Beach and found a pistol in a holster on the top shelf of a kitchen cabinet. We called the front desk and had them pick it up. I called a week later to see what became of it and they said a vacationing police officer had left it while staying in the same room. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the guy that picked it up kept it.

I was dumpster diving at a construction site on a weekend looking for scrapes of plywood for a small project I was working on and in that dumpster was a 21-Speed Trek Mountain Bike in Very Good Condition. Knowing that it could have been stolen and dumped, I took it to the local police department. Told them the whole story so they understood why I was Dumpster Diving and I asked what the rules were for Lost and Found… They said they would run the serial number and if it’s not reported stolen and no one claims it in 30-days, I could come back for it and it would be legally mine. No one claimed it and I still have the bike…

I saw this posting and I was wondering if a “found gun” would be treated the same way and I called a Cop Friend and he said NO, if a gun is turned in as “found” it will not be turned over to the finder after 30-days. First thing they do is run the serial number to see if it was reported lost or stolen. If nothing came back, it would be put into the L&F section. Unless they had reason to, it would not be set out for forensic testing.

One of the reasons that the Police are not allowed to turn a found gun over to the finder is that it would require a background check of the finder and the police are not licensed to provide weapons to the public. It would ultimately be disposed of as per the policies and procedures in each jurisdiction. It might be destroyed, it might be incorporated into weapon’s training, etc…

1 Like

I believe this, but at the same time, I find it inconceivable to believe that one, especially a police officer can be so caviler about a weapon and leave it just lying around for anyone to find…

I know it happens all the time, but how does one become so complacent with weapons? Folks show up at Airports with guns in their handbags, knapsacks, brief cases, even on their person in holsters and pockets…

And perhaps the most egregious aspect of Police handling their service weapon and it accidently discharges, either while simply handling it or while “cleaning” it…

1 Like

+1

The hotel said it was his personal weapon, not his service gun. Still, it’s hard for me to imagine that anyone is that stupid and worthless.

1 Like

Being of the geezer age, I don’t find the manipulating-ingénue plot used commonly in tv programming these days very interesting. So I’m left with older shows, one of which is the one about Andy and his deputy Barney. Barney has accidental discharges all the time, usually from just putting his gun in his holster. Andy’s ( the Sherriff) response is to either take the gun away for a day or two, or let the deputy keep the gun, but take the bullets. I’m thinking if a deputy has one accidental discharge, no more carrying a gun at all, desk job from then on. But its a 60’s comedy show, so have to cut the writers some slack.

I’m way to OCD to leave anything behind in a Motel/Hotel, I look everywhere, triple check the drawers, pull all the covers and sheets and shake them to make sure I don’t leave a sock, underwear, money behind much less a gun… :grin:

3 Likes

Mayberry vs real life? C’mon, George.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll grant that’s a bit of a stretch … lol . I guess even on one of today’s tv comedies a tv-deputy might accidently discharge their weapon, shown for comedic effect, with no consequences.

Real life is much funnier. My niece’s ex finally got his dream come true and became a policeman. He made a traffic stop. When he got out of the cruiser he forgot to put it in park. The car started to roll and he pushed on it to stop it. That didn’t work and it ran over his foot. The guy he stopped felt sorry for him and helped him get seated and contact the precinct for help. It took a couple months before he could go back to work without restrictions. I never heard whether his sergeant allowed him out on the streets in uniform again.

1 Like

Being that same age, I also qualify as a geezer. I remember and watched Andy, Barney, Helen, Opie, Aunt Bee, Ernest T, Gomer, the Darlings and all the rest when they originally came on… We still get re-runs twice a night (back to back), 5-nights a week…

Back in the day, Barney’s shenanigans with his sidearm were funny because there just was not the gun play and misuse there is today. Back then, most police had real world war experience with weapons, be it World War II or the Korean War. I was in Boy Scouts and I earned my Firearms Merit Badge using a real weapon. My Elementary School (K-6) had after school activities for the 5th and 6th graders and for the boys, there was the Sportsman club and several of the male teachers taught fishing, camping and shooting in the school yard (I went to a rural school…). I fired my first high power rifle back then, and M1 Garand, a pump 12-gauge, and a .69 caliber Brown Bess Flint Lock at that school when I was 10, 11, and 12-years 0ld.

I already owned my own .22 rifle, and a 12-guage double barrel shotgun (with external hammers). I also had my own 12-foot skiff with a 10-HP Scott Atwater outboard engine… All of us had BB guns and we were taught to respect the weapons, there were no mass shootings like now, schools were still considered a safe zone (of course we still practiced the “Duck and Cover” under our desks (like those desks would withstand an atomic weapon…)

As kids, when we rode our bikes over a bridge that passed over r highway, we often stopped and waited for 18-wheeleres to pass and we pumped our fists up and down and the truckers often blew their air horns as the went under the bridge. I cannot remember even hearing about someone throwing rocks onto passing vehicles.

Now, I know it was not a perfect world back then and there was plenty of wrongs (the Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy’s assassination, Robert Kennedy’s assassination, Martin Luther King’s assassination, the fight for Civil Rights and so much more; but it’s a different world now it isn’t better…

4 Likes

Why is this topic allowed, but my topic on the real world old versus new crash with the Camry and the Corolla flagged and deleted? Because a young boy died in the Corolla but if you’re 20 it’s okay?

1 Like