1999 Toyota Corolla - Needs a new seatbelt

I read that Toyota had problems with their seat belt catches. I looked for it but can not find it now. Furthermore, I have a failure with the passenger side not catching the seatbelt I called a local dealer and was told there is no active recall on that year or model, and they want $500.00 to replace the entire seatbelt assembly, not just the catch

I’m not seeing any active recalls for your car. I’m presuming it is the LE version. Seems like a good one.

However I did find a seat-belt related customer interest bulletin

BO026-01

And a couple of seat belt related service bulletins.

T-SB-0258-08

B0002

Ask the dealership for a copy, or there’s a pretty good chance you can Google those numbers to read what they say. TSB repairs are generally billed at the same hourly & parts rate as any other repairs.

Where is the “catch”? If it is inside the seat belt retractor, the complete shoulder belt assembly must be replaced.
If you need a new seat belt buckle, those are no longer available from Toyota, you might look for a used buckle.

1 Like

Over time dust, gunk or food particles build up in the latch. try spraying a silicone lubricant inside to clear it up.

Fixing a Sticking Blocked Seat belt. Simple Repair on stiff catch - YouTube

1 Like

Is the problem with the actual seat belt retractor and “catch on sudden deceleration” mechanism? If so, $500 to replace the complete seat belt mechanism with OEM parts and dealer labor sounds like a good deal to me. I am as cheap as the day is long, and even I would jump on that offer.

Now if the problem is just with the part that the seat belt buckles into, then I’d save my $500, go to a junkyard, and get a used one. It just bolts to the side of the seat, and has a wiring connector that you unplug.

George;
I checked with the local dealership and was quoted $350.00 as they don’t just change the catch, they replace the belt as such. I went online and can get the right and left catch for $16.00 There are only 2 bolts and 2 plugs to replace both. The parts should be here today, and I can get them installed tomorrow.
Thanks for your follow-up and consideration.
Mistrbill

3 Likes