1999 Chrysler Concorde - Smells like gasoline

The smell of gas when engine is running

You have a 24 yo car that are few and far between now a days… A lot can go wrong over the years, there is no way to know over the internet how bad the issue is, but it would be recommended to have the car towed to a well known reputable independent repair shop for a proper inspection/diagnostic, you should expect to pay for the inspection as well as the repairs needed…
You could have a fire hazard fuel leak, or a evap system failure venting fumes etc etc…

Do you have a CEL on (check engine light)?? If so what are the codes??

Also do you have the 2.7L or 3.2L engine?? How many miles??

2 Likes

I suggest 100% cotton clothing or Nomex if you can find some. And I’d get that to the shop today.

1 Like

Have someone inspect the area around the fuel injectors for leaking gas.

It takes very little gas leaking from a bad injector O-ring to create that gas smell.

Tester

Recall for fuel leaks : Chrysler Concorde Engine (repairpal.com)

1 Like

If your shop can’t seem to find where the leak is coming from, find a shop that has an emissions sniffer. That will often pinpoint a gasoline leak location.

My guess, it’s coming from the evap system canister. The fumes from that could easily get sucked into the fresh-air hvac inlets at the bottom of the wind-shield. Either canister has failed, or one of the evap system valves has failed. Usually that would turn on the check engine light or at least store a diagnostic code in the computer memory.