Why am I smelling Gas?

I have a '99 Chevy Cavelier. Just recently I’ve noticed the smell of gas both on the inside and around the outside of the car. I have checked for possible leaks but haven’t found any. It’s weird t me that I am smelling it when I am in the car any thoughts?

When do you smell it? All the time or only sometimes? Is there a Check Engine light on? Are there any leaks from other places than the gas tank?

There’s only one explanation. Your car has a leak somewhere in the fuel system. This is DANGEROUS! Have this checked and repaired ASAP, before you go up in flames.

I haven’t detected any leaks…I am taking the car in for service. Check engine light doesn’t come on. Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like it’s time to let someone borrow your car and see what happens.

I have had the very same problem recently with my 2005 Chevy Impala.

I guess I am just very unlucky because I had a similar problem in 1999 with a Mazda MPV van that had a defective fuel vapor separator tank.

At least I know what to look for.

If you have a Chilton’s book for your car it will show you the fuel system.

You might try looking up recalls too, on the internet to find out if there are other consumer complaints.

Which is what I am doing now.

Fuel vapors spread 360 degrees when fuel is leaking that’s why you smell it inside the vehicle. It’s not airtight.

You may have a cracked or split fuel line from the tank or even a loose in-line filter clamp.

Follow the fuel lines from the tank forward along the frame rail. If the lines are married and clamped together at some point they rub together and may start leaking.`