1998 Volvo V70

I have a 1998 Volvo v70 Turbo wagon, approx. 100K miles. For the past year, the car has intermittenly stalled out at speeds of 20-40 mph, never at highway speeds. Frequently, it will stall out, then start right up again. The check engine light always comes on. Yesterday, it stalled out in the middle of an intersection and it took 15 - 20 times to get it restarted, after letting it sit for about 20 minutes. I’ve had the turbo control valve, water pump, mass air flow sensor, and cam shaft sensor replaced (by 4 different mechanics.) I’ve had broken hoses replaced, the shifter knob replaced, spark plugs checked, air filter replaced and added fuel system cleaner. The mechanic has checked the fault codes - which indicate a problem with the mass air flow sensor. They check the part and it works fine through all of the tests. After one of these episodes, the car will run fine for a couple of days - weeks, then stall out again.

I’ve asked over and over again, please tell us, when your mechanic figures it out, what makes Volvos stall out (a common problem), but no one has ever replied after the problem was solved.

Maybe the problem has never been solved. I don’t know.

I have to ask, why do you put up with this? You must really love this vehicle. I can’t think of another reason.

Sorry, but I have no advice to offer, I’m just amazed at how many similar posts there have been regarding Volvos that shut off for no apparent reason. If it’s any comfort, you’re not alone.

The problem may be due to a bad electrical connection to the MAF or something else for the engine.