1998 Honda Prelude just hit 100k

I have a 1998 honda prelude in great condition. Oil changes every 3k and drive it respectably. I’ve been told there’s a minor leak in the rear main seal but not bad enough to influence oil change timing or anything. My check engine light hasn’t ever came on but the little maintenance required indicator is consistently changing to yellow. Because my car just went over 100k does this mean it needs to be serviced that’s different from an oil change and tune up procedure? Or could there be an issue? What type of problems could be from the indicator but not set off my check engine light?

The ‘maintenance required’ light is based on the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, and is simply a reminder. Certainly not any indication of car trouble.

Take it from someone who routinely drives cars well past 200,000 miles, and well into the 300,000s. Keep doing what you’re doing and enjoy year after year of no car payments.

My wife and I currently own and drive a '00 Ford Explorer with 245,000 miles, an '88 Toyota Supra with 287,000 miles, and a Toyota Celica with 365,000 miles. I still change oil in the Toyota’s at 5000 miles or 6 months and the Ford according to the oil life monitor. The Celica gets fresh spark plugs every 12,000, Supra just got a fresh set of Iridiums, and the Ford gets factory Platinums every 60,000. I maintain the same schedule even as they get older.

Thank you for that info. So now should I check my car manual for what the standard procedure is for when my car hits this mileage? Or bring It to a shop just to check it out?

Have you changed the coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid? Use Honda fluids.

Timing belt? Water pump?

I have a 2005 Accord EX V6. This light comes on at 6000 miles when I start the car and glows for a couple seconds to remind me to change the oil. It is probably the same for your car. If you have not reset the light, do this:

1. Turn off the engine.
  2. Push and hold the select/reset knob on the instrument panel
  3. While holding the select/reset knob in, turn the ignition switch to ON and hold for at least 10 seconds until the indicator resets

You didn’t say whether you did this or not, so I offered the suggestion. If you have someone else change the oil, they may not have reset the indicator last time. Also, I’m guessing that your reset is the same as mine. You confirm that in your owner’s manual.

I personally haven’t changed anything inte car so I may just set up a time to have someone check everything but I’ll def try the reset method for the indicator light thank you sanders!

“I personally haven’t changed anything inte car so I may just set up a time to have someone check everything”

If that statement means that the timing belt has never been changed, don’t even waste your time with having somebody “check” it. If it is the original, it is now at least 9 years overdue for changing.

A timing belt can look pristine, and it can snap–literally–minutes later, and when it snaps the internal engine damage that will result would cost more to repair than the book value of the car.

I strongly suggest that you look at both the Honda maintenance schedule and your own maintenance records to confirm when (or IF) the timing belt was ever changed. When it is changed, you should also have the serpentine belt, the water pump, and all belt tensioners replaced at the same time.

And, unless the transmission fluid has been changed w/in the past 3 years, you are also overdue for that service. Check your maintenance records!

Change the thermostat and radiator cap when coolant is changed.