1998 Corolla

I inherited a '98 Corolla, auto tranny, 78,000 miles on it. Expected great milegage, but tops out at 26 mpg highway; sometimes dips to 24. The “check engine” light was on the day i got the car. There are no noticeable performance problems; indeed it runs well. The owner said the dealer could not find any reason for the light to be on and said to ignore it. Did the dealer miss a sensor, computer, of other problem? I put 310,000 miles on a 1984 Corolla and it got 29 mpg the day I junked it.

Please advise.

Is the light still on? If so, don’t take the previous owner or the dealer’s word for it-- get it checked out yourself. Places like Autozone or Advance autoparts will read the codes for free-- get what the actual codes are (not their “translation”, they should be in Pxxxx form) and post them here. I assure you there is not “no reason” for the light to be on-- that light is on for a reason.

That era of Corolla/Pizims standard automatic was a low tech Three speed in which fuel mileage was not all that great. A electronic four speed was optional, and got much better gas mileage as well as the five speed manual. My guess is you got a three speed auto.

Yes, a 3 speed tranny. Your view on a computer, o2 or other possible problem? I never saw a 4 cylinder Toyota get such poor highway mileage I use cruise control at 65mph and get no better than 26 mpg.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Harold Burbank

Light always on at start and stays on(still on). I agree a new mechanic analysis is warranted but I have also read, as below, that this car gets very poor mileage, apparently due to a simple 3 speed AT.

Comments?

Thanks,

Harold Burbank

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

It’s hard to believe that a '98 Corolla doesn’t have an overdrive automatic with a lock-up torque converter. That would make it a 3-speed with OD. Does your car have such a transmission?

If the CEL is on there is a reason. Have the codes read and find out what’s wrong. The owner was lying about the light. I’ll bet the CEL has something to do with the poor mileage.

What does the tachometer indicate at 65mph?