Check engine light-low mileage car

I have a 2001 Corolla with 58,000 miles on it and it seems early on for the light to go on. What’s the first thing that goes? Any suggestions?

The first thing? A loose gas cap. It can happen to new cars on their first fill-up off the dealer’s lot.

Have your computer scanned for trouble codes. Many auto parts stores do this free. You can report the code(s) here for further advice.

It is never too early. It means there is something wrong. A seven year old car can have something wrong. That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Joe, I heard Autozone doesn’t read the computers for free any longer. Not positive though.

Had my friend’s Tiburon read, at Autozone, earlier today. See post: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1080209.page

Seems to depend on the location. Here in California the mechanics raised a fuss over AZ doing the free scans.

Autozone now includes scanners in their tool loan program, but will no longer pull the codes.