10 mph

My 2007 Toyota Corolla CE was working fine until two nights ago. I was going 60mph on the freeway when I heard a click and the “check engine” light came on. The car began to decelerate and was unresponsive to the gas pedal. I pulled into a gas station, turned the car off, and then back on again without any trouble. It ran fine but the “check engine” light remained on. The following evening I was driving no more than 55mph when I heard the click again. This time, no matter how many times I turned the car off and back on again, it wouldn’t go faster than 10mph. (25 if I was going downhill) It idled low a few times and acted as if it would die, but never did. What is wrong with my car?

The Check Engine Light is telling you that the car’s OBD system has stored a trouble code, or possibly more than one. Until you have the system scanned for codes, nobody can tell you what the problem might be.

Right now, the car is probably in “limp home” mode as a result of some fairly serious trouble codes. If the car is driveable, you need to take the car to a qualified mechanic. If it is not driveable, it needs to be towed.

Do not take it to a chain operation like Sears, AAMCO, Pep Boys, Midas, Monro, or Meineke. Seek a well-reputed independent mechanic in your area. After scanning the car’s OBD system, he should be able to tell you what he believes the problem to be.

Good luck!

That check engine light is trying to telling you. The light means the computer has detected a problem and has set a trouble code. Any mechanic’s shop can read the code to determine what is wrong and fix it for you. If this car is still under warranty, the dealer should be able to fix it, probably under warranty. It is under 60,000 miles, right?

Get the codes read that are associated with the check engine light and post them. You can get it done for free at an auto parts store like Advance or Autozone.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Is it under 60,000, but the warranty just expired (of course). I just took in to the little neighborhood shop where my mom has been going for 40 years. I should know what the problem is soon.

Ok.

My guess is there’s a problem in the throttle-by-wire system and it’s in limp-home mode.
The throttle response is greatly reduced.
This is explained in the owner’s manual.