1997 Lincoln Town Car - Stalls

My 97 Lincoln towncar has been occasionally stalling when making turns. The repair shop replaced an erratic oxygen sensor, thinking that was the problem, but it still stalls. They couldn’t find any other problems, so if anyone else has had this happen and can offer advice, please let me know!

No check engine light?
I wonder if something is shorting out on turns.

1 Like

The check engine light is on, but has been for a long time before the car started stalling.
More details: the car will restart right away; and it will stall with a full tank of gas. I noticed some recommendations to check the mass airflow sensor. I unplugged it with the engine running, but the engine did not turn off (which I heard may be a way to tell if the sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced, but I’m not sure how legitimate a test that is.)

Usually, when going around a corner your foot is off the gas. So there may be a problem with the Idle Air Control valve.

To find out, when the engine is hot and idling, take the handle of a screwdriver and rap on the IAC valve. If the idle speed changes or the engine stalls, the problem is with the IAC valve.

Tester