1997 Grand Caravan dies when cold, won't idle

I have a 1997 Dodge grand caravan. Recently the check engine light came on and as of this morning, it will not idle when cold, but instead dies. This is not something that has ever happened before so I have nothing to work with. I’ll have to take it to a garage, but would like to be somewhat informed before I do so.

When driving this morning, the van would die at every stop light unless I put it in neutral and goose the accelerator a bit keeping the rpms up. After a short time driving it, when it was warmed up, the problem cleared up fine.

What are the likely causes for this?

I’d start by checking the coolant temperature sensor and it’s wiring. The Check Engine light is on, so read the code already.

Recently the check engine light came on

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.