1997 Geo Prizm Outside Door Handle Broken/Does Not Work

Last night I was out with some friends and one of them (stupidly) yanked on the door handle, then continued to pull on it about 20 or so times despite being locked. After unlocking the door, the handle did not open it. The inside handle works and the door opens normally from the inside. The outside handle feels to be disconnected on the right side of two connectors and as such pulls out slightly further than it should when I open. Other than that, the door handle opens freely enough, just without the door opening. The car is a 1997 Geo Prizm. I am fairly certain I can do any repairs (I’m 18 and at that point in school where no one cares anymore whether anyone goes or not!) but any advice on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated as I have little to no idea on how this works as of yet!

Thanks,

Tom

I’m not sure if I can edit the post, so I just want to add that this is the driver’s seat door that’s broken.

Its probably just a matter of removing the door panel, and checking if the rod is connected to the door handle and latch. Also there is a plastic clip the rod snaps on and slides in the clip as a guide, so it can lift the latch. Make sure the clip is not broken and the rod has not fallen out of the clip.

BTW RockAuto.com sales replacement door handles, or any auto parts store that caries Dorman parts, can order you a new handle.

Link to door handle http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430190,parttype,1024

Purchase a Haynes/Chilton manual for your model year car. Or check one out from your local library. Only then try to repair this thing.

Thank you guys, I managed to get the door panel off, the door handle piece that connects to the rod snapped off from the rest of the door handle. I’ll use that link (or anything I can find in town if possible!) to get a new one and try JB welding the broken handle for the time being.

Thanks again,
Tom