1997 chrysler concorde need help finding out what's wrong

chrysler
concorde

Car makes loud contiues clunking noice when shifting into drive park doesn’t keep vechile parked and it won’t drive.

When you put the transmission into drive, exactly what happens?

Engine stalls?

Engine revs but car does not move?

What about reverse?

The car has a broken CV joint or axle shaft. Set the parking brake, the vehicle will have to be towed.

It makes a very loud clunking noice in reverse to it scares me so I put it in park fast no rev in any gear it’s parked at my house

Car will not mI’ve in any gear.

Move I mean and how much do you think it will cost to fix the cv joint or axel Shaft I only have 6000 dollars to fix it with

Six thousand dollars should cover it. A remanufactured axle shaft assembly is under $200 and about 2 hours labor. There could be other damage however, the car will need to be inspected.

You could buy another '97 Concorde with $6K, with money left over.

No rev in any gear. Now I don’t know if they mean the engine does not rev or the car does not move in any gear or just what is happening. I say take the 6000.00 and find another vehicle.

Just the thought of plowing up to $6k into repairs on a 20 year old NON-classic vehicle is…bizarre in the extreme, IMHO.

I think there is a decimal point missing or too many zeros, people don’t usually point out that they have a $6000 budget for a repair on an old car.

[quote=“Nevada_545, post:11, topic:102376, full:true”]
I think there is a decimal point missing or too many zeros, people don’t usually point out that they have a $6000 budget for a repair on an old car.
[/quote]You are probably right.

But I drive all over kansas for my job and I’m trying to save miles on my truck so I’m going to fix it I hope your right about the cv shaft, I’m taking it to the dealer on the third to have them fix it will let you guys know the results.

Why in the world are you taking an old car to the dealer?

The stories from the independent repair shops are more entertaining but some people don’t have time for that. If this is a simple repair like an axle shaft replacement it will be less than 2 hours of labor, some people are willing to pay $20 per hour more to have an experienced technician perform the work.

I figured for 200 dollars maybe a little more I can save miles on my 2014 f 150 and save gas I get paid to drive so 200 bucks to make 1000’s is well worth it. Why drove a new vechile and make it depriciate when I can do it to a older car.