1997 Chrysler Cirrus Stalls

Hi, I am far from an expert or even a beginner when it comes to car trouble. So please bear with me. My question is as follows:

1. After my car has sat all night and it is chilly outside 40-50F, the car will not idle. It will start, but unless I keep my foot on the gas to keep the RPMs at 1000 or so, the vehicle stalls. Once I have warmed it up and started to drive it, it seems to be fine and it even started and idled fine after another two hours of being turned off in the same temperature.

1a. Why would it stall like this?

2a. What are the possible problems?

3a. What can be done to fix this?

Thank You

The Cirrus May Be Keeping Secrets From You. You Have An OBD2 Onboard Diagnostic System Built Into The Cirrus. It Sometimes Records Problems That Occur.

Has a “check engine” or “service engine” light come one ?

Here’s where I’d start. Drive the car (if you can do so safely) to a “chain” auto parts store (Auto Zone , Advance, etcetera). See if they’ll visit your car in the parking lot with a code reader and read any codes that your car has stored that can lead you to the system that has failed. Many do this for free. You can call and ask first if you’d like.

Write down any and all codes exaclty as they tell you (PO123, PO455, etcetera) and post them here and we’ll see if we can advise you from there.

CSA

Hi, Thanks for replying.

No Check engine or service engine ligt comes on. I will take it to one of the spots you mentioned to look into any codes that may come up. Though since that one time, the vehicle has started fine. Even after a night in the cold and rain, it started fine and idled fine the other day. I still will have it checked.

I’ll post another reply if there are any error codes to report.

Thank you and Merry Christmas