1996-ford ranger truck-2.3l fi -

I was on an on-ramp and accelerating, and the engine just died! Poof! Nothing. When cranking, no fire, no nothing.

I suspect the ignition module, called an ENGINE CONTROL MODULE, or POWER CONTROL MODULE, on this critter. Anyone else agree?

You are right! Fuse #19 (25 amp) just blew — cutting power to all the ignition coils! El zippo, no spark!

The ignition module is part of the secondary ignition system. The ECM/PCM is the main engine management computer. So they’re not the same thing. But you’re correct that the problem might be with the ignition module. But this problem could also be caused from a failed Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Tester

This type of sudden stop happens when the timing belt breaks. Have that checked.
The gods are smiling upon you, if the timing belt did break, the engine won’t be trashed because it’s not that kind of engine. Say, Ezads! Thank the gods!

Thanks! A possibility, all right!
Any way to check that, without removing the cover?

Thanks!
Got a location for the fuse ?

Thanks for your help!
The belt’s broken, alright…(my son’s truck, in another city)…
We’ll be changing that…
:slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!
The belt’s broken, …(my son’s truck, in another city)…
We’ll be changing that…

Thanks for your help!
The belt’s broken, …(my son’s truck, in another city)…
We’ll be changing that…

Well, the responders got a positive response, and a “thanks”! One of the “perhaps” did fit the bill. It’s appreciated when posters respond, affirmatively, or otherwise. Pat. Pat. Pat.