Recurring Ignition Troubles

Only two weeks ago I had the crankshaft sensor and the ignition module replaced in my 1992 Buick Century (3.3L V6). Without any warning, the car abruptly died while cruising. Are there any things outside of the ignition module or cranshaft sensor that can cause these things to fail? Was the mechanic supposed to disconnect the battery before replacing these items? Can a short-circuited spark plug cause the ignition module to fail? Can a mis-alignment of the sensor cause any damage? Could there be a hidden frayed wire that short-circuited? I need help!

Are you saying the car died after the crank sensor and ignition module were replaced? Why were those parts replaced to start with? Your post title says “recurring” ignition problem, so I’m guessing the car died before those parts were replaced, too, and the new parts were supposed to fix the problem…which they didn’t.

Your mechanic may not have correctly diagnosed the problem. A faulty ignition switch, for example, can also cause a car to die suddenly. I’d take the car back and tell him to keep trying to find the cause.

An arcing plug wire can burn out a module. And an improperly installed crank/cam sensor can suddenly fail after a few miles of operation.

@jmcarc

Has anyone checked for stored fault codes?

Did the mechanic perform a fuel pressure test?

It is not necessary to disconnect the battery prior to replacing a crank sensor and ignition module

The last time it was disabled, I checked the ignition with an old-fashioned timing light when the car was in its no-start condition. There was no high voltage in the ignition wires. So, I know it’s not a fuel problem.

When it won’t start, is the module getting 12 volts input?

When it didn’t start, I didn’t have my voltmeter with me, so I dont know. The car is at the mechanic now. I received a message from his shop. I was told he got it started, but with no details about how. He still has to check it out.

I just want to give an update about my car. About two weeks ago, the mechanic installed a defective crank sensor. He installed a new one, free of charge, and apologized for the inconvenience. According to my repair records, the same thing happened to me six years ago (2007), same car but different mechanic. At that time the crank sensor failed within two weeks and had to be replaced again. I asked the mechanic at that time why the new sensor failed. He simply told me “Quality control isn’t what it used to be”. I haven’t had anymore ignition troubles until now. I want to thank all of you for your help.

Good to hear you’re back in business!