1995 Toyota Camry - Speedo wrong

The speedometer needle does not move until i’m doing about 45MPH…
i measure it with a speed App. Then it stays at 20-30MPH no matter how fast i go.The odometer needle does not always match the ammount of throttle i use but is fine on cruise control.The previous owner informed me of these issues and apart from this the car is in excellent shape and runs great with 115,000 miles(89,000) when i bought it. Engine is V6. Toyota Camry XLE 1995.
Any ideas?
Thanks…James.

speed sensor

I have NO idea what you are talking about here. The odometer measures the mileage the car travels and has no correlation to throttle. Maybe you mean tachometer? That measures engine rpm but also doesn’t directly correlate to throttle position.

On a car 23 years old, parts are not available except in a junkyard and those parts likely won’t work either. Use your phone or a tablet with GPS as your permanent speedometer. Or use an app like Torque Pro to read speed off the car’s OBD2 port. Mount it where you can see it clearly.

this 1995 Toyota may not have a 16-pin OBD2 dlc

As an example, my 1995 Toyota did not

1 Like

The problem is most likely with the instrument cluster/speedometer.

If there were a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor, the Check Engine light would be on with a 42 DTC.

Tester

Shoot- forgot that OBD2 didn’t appear until '96. Senior moment! :thinking:

I seem to recall that there were a few GM cars that had OBDII in 95 but everybody else got it in 96.

OBD2 wasn’t required for cars and light trucks until the 1996 model year, as a general rule

That said, I’ve run into a few 1995 model year vehicles that were fully OBD2 compliant, and they were GM vehicles, as oldtimer mentioned. I know they were fully compliant, because the underhood emissions sticker said as much.

I’ve even once run into a 1995 Benz E320 that had the 16-PIN OBD2 dlc . . . but I don’t recall what the underhood emissions sticker had to say. In fact, it was the last of the series, as the 1996 model year was a completely different body style, with a lot of new technology, but a holdover engine. That comment also partially addresses the other discussion, where the op believes a manufacturer would not make any changes for the very last model year of a car.

I also believe there were some 1994 and 1995 vehicles with the 16-pin OBD2 dlc, but which were not fully compliant. Communicating with the pcm can apparently be an issue. I know for a fact that Benz I mentioned also had a Benz-specific dlc under the hood . . . maybe even 2 different ones . . . which a generic OBD2 scanner or code reader would not connect to

Funny, just today I had a 1994 Camry (mfd 11/93) in the shop with a Check Engine light. Grabbed a jumper wire and jumped TE1 and E1 in the underhood diag port, turned the key on, and waited to count the flashes of the engine light. But nothing happened. Hmm. Looked under the dash and found the circular Toyota diag plug, jumped TE1 and E1 there, still no code flashes. ??? Looked in Mitchell, directed me to a connector behind the left access panel in the knee pad. There I found a 16-pin OBD2 connector, scanned in generic OBD2 mode and got codes and data. In a 1994!

Here’s a list of vehicles that were OBDII compliant prior to 1996, based on year/engine family.

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

Tester

It should be possible to find a used speedo for a 95 Camry in most larger metro areas. The local Pick and Pull I use currently have two 95 Camry’s on site, just waiting to have their speedo’s removed. Can’t vouch that will solve the OP’s problem, but finding a used speedo shouldn’t be much of a problem.

On my slightly older vintage Corolla , the speedo is used both to display the speed to the driver, and also to sense the speed for the computer to use. If the latter wasn’t working correctly it could affect drivability and performance.