1995 Saturn SL

I have a 1995 Saturn SL with 131,000 miles. It is a good car, and still pushes 40 mpg. The problem is that I have developed an antifreeze leak. I noticed it last weekend, and have had to add antifreeze twice. It appears to be leaking on the drivers side under the car, but the reservior is on the passenger side. I have not been able to locate the exact leak.
Any suggestions?

Could be anywhere in the system, but check the hoses from the firewall (where the heater core is) to the engine block.

You can get an additive that will add a color you can see under a special (black?) light. Then you can run it, and find it quickly.

Have you pressurized the system and checked from UNDER the car, with a good worklight? You’ll be amazed what you can see with a good worklight.

Or, as chassios suggested, the UV sensitive dye is an option. The guy at the parts store can help you find it.

On this vehicle, the “front” of the engine is on the passenger side. There is a coolant passage in the intake manifold, but it would only leak if the manifold gasket was bad. The coolant passage and the heater hoses are about in the center of the car. The upper radiator hose exits the back if the engine (again in the center of the car) and goes to the side tank at the drivers side of the car.

This radiator is about the right age for the seal between the side tank and the radiator core to start leaking. Starting price for a new replacement radiator from RockAuto is $68.89. They are not difficult to replace.

The radiator core would probably be the passenger side, but Jeffrey says it appears to be leaking from the drivers side. A pressure test as suggested previously would be a good idea, and with the age hoses are bet number 1, radiator bet number 2. The die would be good, but look at fixing the problem rather than a band aid such as stop leak or ground pepper. When the air is blowing a leak could be one place and appear to be coming from another.

OK, It finally stopped raining long enough in Ohio for the motor to dry off a bit. I pulled it in the garage last night, and it appears that the radiator is cracked down the side. Is something like Alumaseal an option, or should I try to replace this? I have never tried anything like this before. My experience in working on cars generally stops at brakes and rotors.

Replace it…Far less headache in the long run.

You can replace it. Use a bucket to catch whatever is left in it, and either remove the bottom hose, or see if there’s a drain you can open. When it’s empty, disconnect the fans from power, the top hose, if you have an automatic, disconnect the teansmission cooler lines. There should be a couple more electrical connections on one or both sides, so disconnect those, too. Remove the rad…it’ll be held by either 2 or 4 bolts.

Put the fan assembly on the new rad, and revers the process. Then fill with the correct spec anti-freeze for you car, and you’re done.

If you’r enot comfortable enough doing this, a shop will be able to replace it for not too much (make some calls). Caveat, they may want to provide the rad if they’re replacing it, so check out what you have, if you can do it, then decide. Don’t buy one until you know what direction you’re taking.

I think I will go for it. Thanks for the info!

Replace it. Note that if you have an automatic tranny the cooler is, I believe, integrated into the radiator, so be prepared to put fresh tranny fluid in too.

ok - I have a 5 speed, so that should not be an issue

thanks again