1995 Plymouth Voyager - Won't run hot

Hey has anyone had a problem with a 95 Plymouth voyager where the carcstarts and runs and when it gets to a certain temperature it will shut down and stop pulling then when you let it cool off it runs again but the car never over heats

Please explain a little more??

Does the engine turn off, or the transmission stop moving the vehicle??

What engine, and is it a 3 or 4 speed automatic?? (since you didn’t say clutch slipping)

No experience w/your make/model/year, but I had that exact problem with a VW Rabbit. The cause was a faulty fuel pump relay.

A bad crankshaft position sensor can cause that.

Tester

1 Like

Like @davesmopar I’d say you need to be more descriptive. “shut down” to me means that the car stalls while “stop pulling” means it keeps running but won’t “go.” Those are two really different things.

3 Likes

And what is that temperature??

This sounds to me like the engine keeps running, but the vehicle won’t move anymore. Most likely this is due to a loss of hydraulic pressure inside the transmission, due to worn seals, etc.

But I would first check to see if the transmission fluid is full, and in good condition, i.e. not burned or discolored. If it hasn’t been changed in a long time, I’d let down the pan, change the fluid and filter, and see if the situation improves. Use only licensed ATF+4, NEVER use Dexron/Mercon or any of the so-called “multi-vehicle” transmission fluids that are available. The lowest-cost option for licensed ATF+4 is the SuperTech brand at Wal-Mart.

If that doesn’t solve the problem, you basically have two options. If this van is still in good cosmetic condition, and runs well (other than the transmission), it might be worth spending a few grand to have it rebuilt. Otherwise, time to call a junkyard to haul it away.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you be interested in the van? Replace the fuel pump, then drive it home. Could have a 2.5 liter engine.

The fuel pump has been replaced and it was still doing it what else could it be

It was still doing what exactly?

Stalling?

Engine running, but the car wouldn’t accelerate?

And what do you mean by “stop pulling” . . . ?

2 Likes

Flibbert gibbititiz. Blaggdadg blowfish. Shizzle-ma-gibitz.

In other words - if you want help, then give a better description of the issue.

1 Like

You have been asked multiple questions and have yet to answer any of them

IF you want HELP, then please help us by answering our questions, other wise you are just throwing darts at a dartboard and maybe something sticks

We don’t have a magic crystal ball , so help us help you

1 Like

Ray & Tom encountered this comment by one of the show’s callers & didn’t understand. Recent podcast. They asked the caller what they meant by “reduced power stop pulling”? “Stop pulling” means the engine still runs, but with markedly reduced power.

I don’t think the 95 Voyager has a reduced power, the A413 3 speed auto is not electronically controlled, so don’t remember how or even if it acts in limp mode, but the A604 4 speed automatic is electronically controlled and IF it goes in limp (home) mode, the transmission goes to 2nd gear and does not shift, no 1st, 3rd or 4th, 2nd gear only to get you home or a shop, or safely off the road and wait for a tow

This is probably an OBDI system, don’t think it even has limp home mode
(??)

Again, we need the OP to answer questions

3 Likes

I can attest to that! (Mine was a Caravan - same thing, of course).

Mine was OBDI - limp home mode was parking the trans in 2nd. What I wouldn’t have done for an OBDII at the time (or anything I could read). It was a great van. The A604 got a bad rap, but as far as I can tell if you kept up with fluid / filter changes they did just fine. On mine, random / unpredictable errors put it in 2nd gear/limp mode. I fussed with it a bunch, but alas, it wasn’t “great” enough - at like 20 yrs old - to pay a shop for diags. I think I donated it.

I’m kind of surprised that you’re so sure what op meant . . . considering they haven’t clarified

I have learned as a technician to NOT assume I know what the customer meant, if there is any doubt

Better to talk to them directly, because they often mean something completely different that what you were assuming

5 Likes

That’s what the caller on the podcast said he meant by “stop pulling”. Of course you are correct that the podcast caller isn’t speaking for everyone.

I am very familiar with these vans, having owned not one but two 1995 Caravans–a 3.0L and a 2.5L, both with the 3-speed automatic. This transmission is not computer-controlled. I never had any problems with the transmission in either vehicle, but I always changed the fluid and filter at a reasonable interval, using the recommended ATF+4.

Correct, as I said, the A413 3 speed is not electronically controlled, but the A604 has been electronically controlled since 1989
 The 1995 2.5 came with the A413, the 3.0 came with either the A413 or the A604 and the 3.3 came with the A604
 (not counting the few with stick shifts)
 But yeah, I have replaced more axles and motor mounts in them then I care to remember
 I could set the rack lift the Caravans and have both axles on the floor in 10 minutes back in the day
 lol

The point is, we don’t know what engine the OP has, much less what transmission

We pushed our 99 GC A604 to 196930 miles with only changing the fluid once due to a VB issue, and it was abused most of it’s life
 lol

I’m pretty sure my '95 was a 3.8? Or am I not remembering that correctly? It certainly had the A604. And it was a great van - that 3.8 packed plenty of punch. My ‘00 was a 3.3 with the A604 was also a great van. Got taken out by a deer - just in time for my wife and I to get out of mini-vans (!) since the kids were
well, not kids anymore. There are still times when I miss the minivan tho’. Pull the seats out (or these days just fold them into the floor) and you had a covered pick-up bed back there. I hauled a lot of stuff, including things like sheetrock and plywood in those things.