1994 Voyager (Plymouth)

I have this beautiful Plymouth Voyager 1994 Van, he does not like me, and I will call him ?monster?. He has been driven about 160,000 miles, fuel pump changed about 3 yrs ago and assume fuel filter was replaced then, (but not 100% sure).

It sparks great, as if it is going to start, no stutters or stumbles. When ?monster? decides to stop, it quits suddenly as if key was turned off. I am not aware of any vacuum leaks (how could I tell?, please?)

The started cranks, but will not start.

Very temperamental car, especially when I, the wife, drive it. Works well for weeks, then it suddenly stops and will not start. Then starts with no problem, and “he” is fine, works well especially with men, my husband and the mechanic.

This has been going on for 3 or 4 months. First time it stopped suddenly in the middle of the road, I tried to start it several times, it cranked but will not start, and even started, but when I tried to put it in gear, it made funny noses and stopped. I gave up, I called a tow-truck but about 10 minutes later, I tried it, it started and worked well, I made several stops the same day and worked well for a couple weeks.

Then, again the same thing, stopped as if I turned the key off, and will not start again, but after a few minutes, it started and continued ok for days. I complain to my husband, he drove it, no problem…

Lately… I went to a Doctor’s appt. Came out and the car will not start, it cranked, but it will not start, I called my husband, he came, could not get it started, he told me to call a tow truck. We towed the car to a mechanic. He had it 2 days, he started the car several times and it worked fine, the gasoline was low ? he said, so he put 3 gal of gas and … car is fine.

Last week:

I asked my husband to drive it, as I am afraid of ?him? (the car), Richard has no problems.

I drove it Saturday to garage sales, perfect, great…

Monday, I went shopping, I wanted to get home, the car will crank, but it will not start, I called my husband, he took off from work, he says: you go home, I will get it going. (he serious and joking tells me it is my fault). Later he told me the car did not start right away, but he waited about 20 minutes, and it started and drove great. He goes back to his work and when he wants to go home, the ?monster? will not start. ?Monster? stays at Richard?s work for a day.

I drove husband to work in other car, when I go to pick him up, he tries the Plymouth ?just in case? and, of course, the "monster? starts.

Richard drives it home, only about 4 miles, the car stopped once, but it re-started it with no problem and GOT HOME!.

Now the ?monster? IS HOME, and we will not move it until we found out what the problem is.

Can you please help?

RAQUEL SCHULLO

=============================

I received this answer, but still no solution.

Here what a nice ‘neighbor’ wrote:

Oyvay. Intermittent problems are the worst.

High mileage, yes?

You may have a (weak?) fuel pump picking up debris or maybe even moisture from the bottom of the fuel tank.

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

There may be a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Aside from a fuel problem, there may be a lack of spark.

When the engine quits, what does it do? Quit suddenly, as though the key was turned off?

If so, there is an electrical fault.

If it stutters and stumbles, it’s likely a fuel and/or an air supply fault.

Any vacuum leaks?

“Nice Neighbor” is correct. Those are all valid questions to be answered. Your truck’s engine control system has an ‘automatic shut down’ relay. The engine computer turns the automatic shut down (ASD) relay on, or off, depending on what signals it gets about oil pressure and the signal that tells it that, “the engine is running, or cranking” (maybe, from the distributor. maybe, from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)). The ASD relay controls power to the ignition coil (spark), the fuel injector(s), and to the alternator (field). It attaches to the alternator via a dark green/orange wire. If the ASD doesn’t send power (12 volts) to these components, the engine doesn’t run, or ceases to run. The ASD relay, itself, may be bad. Swap it with the horn relay. It’s identical. Determine if the ASD relay is sending power. If it powers one part, it powers them all. Turn the key to run. With a test light, or voltmeter, check for 12 volts at the dark green/orange wire on the alternator. Crank the engine. If the voltage is lower than the battery voltage (about 12.5 volts), inform your mechanic.

You sound so knowledgeable. I will report to my hubby. Thank you so much ‘good neighbor’

check the connector that goes to the coil.when it quits get out and wiggle the connector.