95 toytota celica

Can anyone tell me the reasons why the check engine light came on and will not go off on a 95 Toyota Celica covertable.Thx.

Tdawg

Someone can give you an idea once the codes are read. You can guess anything right now because the possibilities have not been narrowed down yet.

I see,ty.How can I read the codes.

You need to have the code read. The Check Engine light comes on when a problem is detected and a trouble code is set. Fixing the problem and clearing the code will turn off the light. Yours is a 1995, which is one year before the mandated OBD-II system was used. You may have a car that has OBD-II, and any parts store can plug in a code reader and extract the code. On OBD-II, the port is generally under the steering wheel. IF this car is still OBD-I, the diagnostic port is under the hood, and two of the terminals must be connected with a jumper wire, then codes are read from the flashing check engine light. If you’ve never done this procedure, I suggest you have a mechanic show you how first.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

If–as I suspect–this car has an OBD I system, the codes will be 2 digits, not the “P0123” format of the OBD II system. Auto Zone and other parts retailers may not be able to help you with codes on an OBD I-equipped car.

If–as I suspect–this car has an OBD I system

Very possible (likely?) with a 1995 car. I missed that part.

Locate the Data Link Connector under the hood above the left fender. Open the cap and insert a jumper wire into the E1 and TE1 terminals. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position so that the dash lights come on. The Check Engine light will start to flash out the codes. The codes will be two place numbers. So for example a code 26 will show up as two flashes, a pause, and then six flashes. Each code repeats three times.

So get the code numbers and then we can tell you what they mean.

Tester