1995 Cadillac

I have a 95 Eldorado, when I mash on the gas the engine misses as if you are cutting the key on and off real fast. While driving down the road occasionally I feel a slight miss in the engine. When the engine is cold, the motor fires up like it should, but after the engine is warm up to normal operating temperature and it cut off and sits for 45 min or so, when I go to start it, the motor spins and spins and spins before it fires up. I’ve replaced the ignition control module, coils, spark plug wires, spark plugs, map sensor, crank shaft sensors (both of them) and the cam sensor. Not sure what it is; obviously. Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks

Replace the fuel filter. Measure fuel pressure with the engine under load. Do a leak-down fuel pressure check over a 30 minuet period. If the check engine light is on, have the codes scanned, and bring them here for cussing and discussion.

when I checked the PCM codes, there were none. Fuel pressure ok, Fuel fileter was replaced. Engine at idle; speeds up, then down, then up, then down, and repeats this continuously,

Have the coolant temp sensor checked although its cheaper to replace than check. Its what tells the computer what the engine temp is and sets the fuel ratio. Also air temp sensor. I know you said it was fine but if you have an injector that sticks open intermittantly, you will have to crank and crank before fuel pressure builds up enough to start.

Check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) as a broken or loose one can cause intermittent bursts of fuel from the injectors and a unstable idle because the PCM thinks the throttle is moving.

Just a thought is all.

Roadrunner,
Thanks for the tips, it was the PCM. Can you tell me how to make the ‘Change Transmission Fluid’ message go out? When I go into the ‘Information’ button on the dash it doesn’t have anything on resting the transmission fluid message.

You got me there Warren. Do you by chance still have the owners manual?

Have you had that trans service performed or do you simply want get rid of the message? I don’t think I’d want to ignore that message, especially if the fluid and filter haven’t been changed in a LONG time.

One way that MAY turn the message off is by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes then re-attach wrench tight (and while it’s off, clean the contacts).

Other than that the only thing I could suggest would be to phone a GM dealer. (preferably a Cadillac dealer.

To enter into diagnostics mode, press off and warm (red button) at the same time. I believe to clear all stored codes you press the high (blue button). I used to have a 93 Seville but it’s been a while since I sold it. Don’t worry if you clear a code and there really is a problem the code will come back.