1994 Honda Accord slipping tranny

We have a '94 Honda accord that the automatic transmission started “slipping” in a week ago. It has 240K and runs good otherwise. It was sliping after it warms and seemed to slip mainly while shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th while accelerating quickly. If you take it real easy on the gas it does not seem to slip much (the engine revs and the car does not seem to be accelerating, so I assume that means it’s slipping - maybe not?).

I don’t believe the auto trans fluid had been changed in over 100K+. The car sat for about 2 years and then I changed oil, replaced tires & battery and started using it with no probs until this (I’ve been using it for about a month now).

Today I changed the auto trans fluid (very dark/dirty but no real burn smell - and just a little metalic “shavings” on the magnetic drain plug), and drove the car fairly hard and heated everything up real good and it hardly slips at all now.

My questions are - with the fluid change making such a drastic improvement (at least for now), should I repeat the process and change it again? Should I try an aftermarket “miracle” additive to claims to prevent slipping? What about trying the Honda brand fluid vs. the “Autostore” brand Dexron VI that is recommended for Hondas requiring Dexron II (apparently they don’t make D-II anymore)? Could it be something else - sensor, linkage, etc. (seems doubtful with the improvement with the fluid change?)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would change it again, and only use the Honda ATF. It doesn’t cost that much. I don’t believe that your Honda ever recommended dexron III except in an emergency. The Dexron IV may be OK though, but it wasn’t around when your Honda was built.

There is a cable that goes from the throttle body to a bell crank near the dipstick. This cable must be taught, not tight but no slack either. This cable will stretch with age and any slack in it will cause the transmission to slip when shifting.

I agree with keith. I’d change the fluid again, but I’d use only Honda ATF.

240K miles is awesome, but don’t expect miracles.