1993 Volvo 850 Transmission Problems

I took my car into my local Volvo dealership have the ABS checked. At the same time they changed the oil, rotated the tires, and performed a safety check. One of the suggested changes was replacing the serpentine belt.

I ok’d the replacement (my car currently has 135,000 miles and I’ve never replaced a serpentine belt) and drove home satisfied with their repairs.

A week and a half later, however, the new serpentine belt flew off, hit my timing belt, and killed my engine. I towed my car to my trusty mechanics downtown and they confirmed that the belt was incorrectly replaced.

The dealership agreed to make the repairs and replaced my engine with another (lower-mileage) engine. When I went to pick it up, I noticed that the serpentine belt was incorrectly posiitoned on the wheel again.

They finally checked the Volvo records and found a notice for 93 Volvo serpentine belt replacement. They were putting it on incorrectly all along. They replaced it (correctly) and (after another inspection and test drive) I took my Volvo home.

The problem is that now my transmission skips whenever the tachometer hits 1500 rpm and the speedometer hits 30 mph. The dealership says that this has nothing to do with my engine dying.

Could my transmission have been damaged by my engine failure?