1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8

The engine in this car runs beautifully but suddenly and totally loses spark. After a cooling period of a half hour or more, it will restart perfectly. I have replaced the ignition module and coil pack (used from a Buick with 73k on it) and the cam sensor (new) but the problem persists. I don’t know if it is related but in trying to reproduce the problem when the car is hot, when I rev the engine and let off, I hear a distinct clunk from the engine. If I make it clunk a few times, the engine quits. Any advice would be appreciated… Mark

What about the crank sensor? This is down by the harmonic balancer, and is the main sensor used to time the ignition. I had a 3.0L V6 that I replaced with a 3.8L. The 3.0L doesn’t use the cam sensor, only the crank sensor.

Also, have you had any luck finding out where the cluck is coming from? Tracing this sound down may also help find the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I will try a crank sensor but am still concerned about the clunk. This is a very weird problem and hard to isolate. Thanks again… Mark