1991 pontiac sunbird

it wont start when cold. unless i spray starter fluid in the intake. then it starts a little shaky and in a few minutes is running fine.

The problem might be with the antidrain-back valve at the fuel pump assembly. To determine if this is the problem try this on the next cold start.

Turn the ignition switch on so the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts and runs smoothly, the problem is with this valve at fuel pump assembly.

Tester

So if this does seem to be the problem. do I need to replace the fuel pump inorder to fix the problem?

Unless you’re willing to turn the key to “on” a few times every morning before turning it to “start”. I know Tester said a dozen times, but in my personal experience three or four times for about 4 seconds is usually sufficient. Hey, it’s 19 years old. Why spend any more than you have to?

Truth is, you probably have a leaky injector also. If the injectors al totally closed the fuel would be held in the line like putting your finger in top of a drinking straw holds the Coke in the straw.