1990 Cadillac Eldorado sunroof does not work

I posted about this issue before. The roof did operate but has now stopped. I can press the switch, and I hear a connecting (click) sound, but no roof movement. A friend said perhaps a relay was bad. If I disconnect the negative battery terminal, could this reset the relay? I also located an actuator part online. Would this be the motor? It’s not an expensive part, and if it could be the problem, I don’t mind trying – but I’m not sure what an actuator is!

Thanks!

You certainly have an interesting collection of cars, oldsfan.

Relays don’t “reset,” so removing the battery cable won’t help anything. If the relay is bad it needs to be replaced. Testing the relay, of course, should be done before replacing it.

Motor and actuator are two different things.

Do you have a service manual for this car? I always purchase a service manual when I acquire a car, because the service manual will answer questions like the ones you asked about your 1990 Eldorado.

If the sunroof on my '97 Acura 2.2 CL stops working I can pull out my service manual, read through the diagnostic and test procedures, and figure out what’s not working. This beats the heck out of guessing and/or throwing parts at a problem.

If you don’t have a manual, check out the inexpensive used books at http://www.Books4Cars.com

Good luck.

Great information and advice. Yes, older cars are my hobby. I don’t know how much longer they will intrigue me, but I have enjoyed them for several years. This '90 Eldo is really a fun car and quite stylish. I just wish I could get the top to open! Thank you!