1978 Chevrolet Corvette - question about engine size

How do I find out about engine size? I understand two engine sizes were made that year. I understand that my uncle who has passed had the larger one?

Only one engine size in 1978 - 350 cubic inches. There are, however 2 different horsepower ratings. The lower one, the L48 option had 175 horsepower (hp) and the L82 has 220 hp. Both with 4 barrel carburetors.

They way you tell which engine you have is to look at the 5th character of the VIN number plate (from left to right) on the dashboard drivers side (and maybe inside the door jamb and/or glovebox). If it is a “L” you have the 175 hp engine. If it is an H, you have the 220 hp engine.

For more info about the 78 Corvette;

http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1978.aspx

2 Likes

Are you going to be selling it? Make sure you do some research before you agree on a price. It looks like most ‘driver’ condition '78s go for between $5,000 and $15,000 on Ebay, depending on condition. Rare, super low mile ones would be more.

1 Like

Hoo boy, there can be a wide range of prices in peoples minds for what a car like this is worth. The real number is what these cars have actually SOLD for on EBay, or Bring A Trailer. And be realistic about your condition. Un-restored, un-modified, primo condition cars are rare and sought after. But a '78 Pace car with the decals on or off the car ups the value, a bunch. As in $30,000 for a good condition to $42,000 for excellent. Hagerty’s car value estimator is also a really good site to help with valuation.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned I got those prices off of the ‘completed listings’. Asking prices are all over the map.

1 Like