Engine identification

I have a '92 chevy pickup and I’m getting ready to cash in on the cash for clunkers rebate. The truck is a V8, Z71, Off Road vehicle and at some point (before I bought it) the engine was replaced with what the owner referred to as “the same motor they put in the Corvette.” He also mentioned that the Corvette shared this motor with a certain Buick model.

Did this truck exchange a 5.0 liter V8 for a 5.7? How do I identify the motor type? Is there a serial number I should be looking for somewhere? This will make a difference in my rebate value which, by the way, is the only thing that has me in the market for a new vehicle (so don’t get your hopes up for a reward check!).

No idea how to identify the engine but how does having a engine that didn’t come with the vehicle affect the “clunker” deal? postively or negatively?

Casting numbers on block and heads.

If it really is some nice hot-shot engine, you might want to keep it and replace it with some junk yard o.e. engine just to get it to the lot for trade in.

I would hope there would be a positive effect; ie the 5.7 gets worse mileage than the 5.0 therefor a wider range of new vehicles would get 10mpg better and the higher rebate value ($4500-v-$3500).

I would assume the opposite to be true if the V8 had been replaced with a V6.

I fear that engine swaps will not be looked at in a postive light. My feeling is the mileage figure that will be used is the one given by the EPA when the vehicle was built,not what you tell the program administrators you get.

These pickups were available with a choice of 5.0 or 5.7 liter V8s. My concern is not that they won’t listen to my mileage claims (in fact I hypermile with this truck and routinely get 20 mpg in town) but that they won’t get accurate information regarding engine type from VIN research.

My assumption is that it’s just a bigger motor with similar hp. My quest for feedback hopefully illustrates my ignorance but don’t car makers put some fairly pedestrian motors in their sports cars unless you opt for the sweeter options packages? I once saw a 4cyl in a mid-90’s Mustang-- believe me that one got some laughs!

Sounds like he swapped in an LT1 350. It was a factory option on the 96-98/99 Chevy trucks. It was also found the Buick Roadmaster, the 94-96 Chevy Impala SS, and the 93-96 V8 F-Bodys.

The easiest way to tell is to count the fuel injectors. If you can see 8 then it’s an LT1, if the engine has what looks like a 4 bbl carburetor on top of the engine then it’s a less-desirable TBI 350. Also if the engine has an old-school circular air clear, then it’s a TBI 350. The LT-1 will have a panel air filter.

I was thinking the original induction type was maintained and the engine less induction was the transplanted item.

Either the 5.7L or 5L get less than 18 MPG EPA combined mileage. You qualify. Your rebate depends on how much better mileage you get with the new one. A new car has to get at least 22 MPG combined MPG to qualify.