1972 Chevelle Malibu

I recently bought a 1972 Chevelle Malibu. The car is in great shape and the engine only has 47000 original miles. My question is this…The valve covers each have one opening. The right is for the PCV and the other is for oil cap/fill. What would have posessed the original owner to run a line from the cap/fill side to the air box and silicone the line to the valve cover. I had to fill oil through the PCV opening. Will I be doing any harm if I disconnect that line and buy an oil cap?

There should be no harm to restore it back the way it should be. The prior owner may have been compensating for excessive crankcase pressure by relieving both sides or he may have just been a doofus. Pull the farmer rigging out, start the engine and place your hand over the hole. If there is a lot of positive pressure, you may have a ring issue. If not, simply install the cap and go.

Here is a great site dedicated to the Chevelle- http://www.chevelles.com/forums/

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the advice and the link.

Are you sure that the odometer hasn’t rolled over a time or two?
Enjoy your Malibu, I know I love my 65.

Few farmers would be dumb enough to do this. It looks more like suburbanite-rigging to me.