'17 Sonata TPMS dashboard indicator malfunction

When I bought my Eco model this past December the tire pressure indicator on the cluster worked fine, indicating exactly 34lbs in each tire. For the past month though the cluster information display shows the numbers but unlike the following picture they’re grayed out and as far as I can tell not accurate. Doesn’t matter how long I’m driving either.
Of course the dealer service department is blaming it on my faulty tire pressure guage which I know through experience isn’t inaccurate. He even said that I had to get a professional one “like the Snap-on’s we use”. I think that it’s an issue either with the software or the TPMS system and they know about but don’t want to deal with it.

Any ideas? It’s almost a nit but I’m paying for nits so I want them to all work!

One word…WARRANTY!
If this dealership insists that your tire gauge–rather than an actual vehicle warranty issue–is the problem, then I think you need to go to a different–more cooperative–Hyundai dealership. And, a phone call to Hyundai’s corporate customer service people is probably a good idea. Contact information can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

Was someone at the Hyundai dealer able to adjust the tire pressure and restore the display?

1 Like

I’ve been using cheap ones for years. Maybe I paid close to $10 once for 100# one but really I have never noticed them being off by more than a pound or two when compared to the TPMS.

+1

But, the ultimate question is…
After the dealership adjusted the tire pressure, did the dashboard display return to normal after a couple of minutes of driving?

If not, then this has to be either a software problem or a hardware problem that is fully-covered by the vehicle’s warranty.

Those service guys/gals… bless their hearts!

First, let me say I don’t know a Hyundai Sonata from Hollandaise Sauce. They’re not sold near here and I seldom have ever seen one. When you just said Sonata I had to read VDCdriver’s comment to remember if Sonata was the make or model.

Have you had the car long? Are you near the selling dealer?

I’d go into the sales department and tell my salesman what happened and explain that when the car was sold to you that nobody explained it required your purchasing special equipment to make it operate correctly. If that is the case then the equipment (Snap-On gauge) should come with the car!

No satisfaction there? Next I’d move up the dealer principal/owner and explain your ever growing list of frustration and ask if you should pursue this with somebody at the corporate level.

I’d also arrange to meet with the Hyundai Regional Service Manager to go over the car and situation with him/her.
CSA

Discount Tire will set the tire pressure for free at the PSI on the door placard. After that see what the instrument panel reads.

Believe it or not - those $4 tire gauges are very accurate. Just because it’s digital doesn’t mean it’s more accurate.

1 Like

But, Snap-On comes right to the shop AND they let people run up a big bill AND they have a warranty! Who cares about accuracy? :wink:
CSA

In short, No. The first time I brought it to their attention was during a routine oil change. They said it was working as it was supposed to.

I put off dealing with them as I had more important things to do but the other day it really began to grind my gears so I stopped by on a whim and even had my original sales rep with me while we spoke to one of the service reps who again without even looking said that it was working as expected. I was getting late for my work app’t so I left and that night wrote to this forum.

What were the pressure values displayed after the oil change when they stated it was working?

If you are using an inaccurate tire pressure gauge, I don’t see how that would cause the display screen to grey out the numbers. Or are they saying the tire pressures as the dealership techs measure them with their fancy gauge are out of the proper range, and that’s what’s causing the screen to grey out the numbers? If the problem is with your own tire gauge, take it with you, then the shop tech should be able to show you that their fancy gauge reads differently from yours. If it turns out not to be a gauge problem, but just that the display isn’t working correctly in your opinion, ask them to show you the same display on another of the new cars on the lot. Does that display on the new lot car look like yours or not?

I have a half dozen tire pressure gauges myself, and the most consistent and accurate ones — comparing against a gas-station gauge where I top up my tires occasionally — are the simple pencil-shape type where a little strip with numbers on it gets pushed out and stays out even after removing the gauge from the tire. I bought the one I use most frequently at Harbor Freight for around $1-3 I think. I have 3 of that type, and they all pretty much agree with each other. The HF one is a little easier to push onto the valve without getting a lot of lost air & hissing, which is why I use it the most. The dial gauges where a needle rotates like on a clock face to show the tire pressure, those aren’t very accurate or consistent with each other for some reason, in my experience anyway.

How dare you… George, don’t tell that to my dial-type German Motometer gauge! :wink:
It’s like this one…

The one I use all the time is still kept in it’s genuine leather pouch.

They’re not cheap or cheaply made, but very accurate and rugged. I’ve got a couple of them, one I’ve had for many decades when we sold them at the Volkswagen & Porsche dealers where I worked.

It’ll blow the doors off your HF pencil-type gauge! :grinning:

Just joking with you George, but I’ve always enjoyed owning these gauges.
CSA

2 Likes

Perform a test while at the dealership. With your gauge in hand, let half the air out of one of the tires, see if the car display responds. If it does, then there’s not a problem, right?

I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying. Do the reported pressures go up as you’re driving? Do the pressures change with temperature, especially for the tires facing the sun? If that’s not happening, then the system clearly isn’t working correctly.

I have a dial type tire pressure gauge that I bought ~30 years ago from Brookstone–when it was still a purveryor of high-quality tools, rather than selling semi-useless Yuppie gadgets, as they do nowadays.
Every couple of years, I compare its accuracy to that of the “master gauge” at the dealership, and after ~3 decades, my gauge is still w/in 1/2 lb difference from the one at the dealership.

I hear you!

I noticed when I looked up a Motometer gauge today that one has to be careful before ordering one.

There are some made in CHINA gauges that look almost exactly like the German ones (just by coincidence, right?), but I’d bet the air in one of tires that they aren’t! :wink:
CSA

They were 36/37. The tires had no more than 34psi because I checked it some weeks before and hadn’t added any air since.

Nevada_545
August 2 |

What were the pressure values displayed after the oil change when they stated it was working? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

deckm00
August 2 |

In short, No. The first time I brought it to their attention was during a routine oil change. They said it was working as it was supposed to. I put off dealing with them as I had more important things to do but the other day it really began to grind my gears so I stopped by on a whim and even had… Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

You believe the tire pressure monitor is off by 2 PSI? They are not going to try to fix that. The tire pressure increases by 3 to 5 PSI while you drive so the pressure would be 37 PSI or higher when you arrived at the dealer. What you measured weeks earlier may be different today.

If the temperature has gone up over the past few weeks (which it probably has done in most of the country), then your pressures would be higher than 34 PSI.

1 Like