Anyone aware of a good quality, accurate tire pressure gauge which is reasonably priced?

I would like to have a tire pressure gauge in each of my cars, and also in my work truck. Currently, I have a Milton mechanical gauge, and a Husky digital gauge. The Milton gauge was accurate for a long time, but now the button to release the air sticks, and it’s hard to get to zero. The Husky gauge is not very accurate, even compared to the mechanical gauge in my electric tire inflator.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a tire pressure gauge which they have personally owned or used, and found to work well?

I purchased this one 2 years ago. No problems with it.

Accu-Gage RH60X Professional Tire Pressure Gauge with Protective Rubber Guard (60 PSI),Straight Chuck https://a.co/d/dKlRlhA

1 Like

I’ve owned my Accu-guage for over 50 years.

Still works.

Tester

2 Likes

Yes!

+1
I’ve only had mine for about 40 years, but it is still accurate.
Knowing what to buy often includes knowing what NOT to buy, and I would advise against buying a Slime brand tire gauge. A friend of mine bought one–against my advice–and it was so inaccurate that he threw it out w/in a few weeks.

Pretty much any “quality” gauge, digital or analog, will give satisfactory results (This ain’t rocket science or brain surgery).The difference between the “cheepo” and the “reliable” is that the latter has been built to higher specs and of better materials.

The $10 cheapo’s are generally fairly accurate. made of plastic and last a couple of years before they’re trash worthy. Leave one in each car to encourage frequent pressure tests.
On the other hand, the brass composite, dial guage is kept safetly in my tool box to assure an accurate PSI on semi-annual checks.

Someone gave me a digital tire pressure gauge for stocking stuffer for Christmas.

I compared it to the Accu-gauge and it was 6 PSI off.

Not all gauges are accurate.

Tester

1 Like

+1
As I previously stated, the Slime brand gauges are pure crap, and their psi reading is likely to be VERY inaccurate. That’s why a friend of mine threw his cheapo Slime gauge into the trash after a few weeks.

My new car is my first one with a direct PSI readout. I compared its readout with that of both my 40 year old Accu-Gage and the gauge on my tire inflator, and I’m gratified to see that they are all in agreement regarding the psi in my tires.

If I had the misfortune to have bought a Slime brand gauge, that would not be likely to have been the result.

I dunno, I’ve got about five or six different ones. I’m sure a couple are 40 years old. None of them have any names on them. They seem to work fine. I usually verify with tpms on the cars though and doesn’t matter if I’m a little off on the trailer and lawn mower. I can live with it.

Tester above reports good results with the one w/the dial, relatively inexpensive, so that seems like the low-risk option. My favorite is the common pencil-type that pokes out a distance in proportion to air pressure. I purchased it at Harbor Freight for just a couple of dollars. I expect I just got lucky. Others I’ve had of the same type, not very accurate. Those pencil types have very simple mechanics, pressure forces a piston along a cylinder, pushing against a spring. If spring constant is incorrect, piston doesn’t slide freely, or piston seal leaks, then it won’t be accurate.

I bought a cheapo air compressor, gives accurate readings compared to the vehicle pressure readings. I have a few of the other gauges, never noticed a problem. More reliable than meat thermometers in my experience.

I had a Meisner Accu-gage for over 60 years , still accurate but the release button no longer held pressure when released.

I contacted the company and they could not provide parts to seal mine so they sent me a new one -free.

1 Like

I have used the Accutire MS-4021B digital gauge for several years. It has always seemed accurate to me, but I never compared its readings to that of a high end brand gauge like a Longacre. For what it’s worth, Consumer Reports rated Accutire gauge highly.

I have a Husky Chuck on my compressor with a digital pressure gauge that seems to be accurate, indicated value agrees with my other gauges and my car’s TPMS.
Having said that, I may get the Accu-Gauge to verify the pressure.

I have an Accu-Gage pressure gauge and like it a lot. It has an 11” flexible hose and I like that addition. There is no model number on the gauge and it measures up to 100 psi. It’s this one:

1 Like

The first digital tyre pressure gauges were dead-on accurate, but the ones sold now vary widely, most likely because cheap pressure gauge chips now allow any manufacturer to produce gauges without much effort. These chips can be purchased calibrated or uncalibrated from the factory, with the latter being less expensive, and some gauge manufacturers are not very careful when calibrating them. I tried four different Home Depot Husky digital gauges, and there was a 1.5 PSI difference between them.
Worse, it was designed to shut down in about 30 seconds, whether idling or in use, and it took 1/2 second to boot up because it was most likely written by slapping together a Linux operating system package. It also requires two sets of batteries, one for the gauge and one for the backlight.

Here’s yet another vote for an Accu-Gage dial gauge. I have several where the readings match perfectly.

1 Like

I’ve heard more than once that dial gauges are most accurate in the middle of the scale. For passenger cars, other than for a compact spare tire, a 60-PSI gauge would be best in this regard.

I have purchased two AUTO METER 2343 Autogage Mechanical Tire Pressure Gauges through the years. 60 psi scale. About $35.

One of my pet peeves is when I get something I like so I buy another years later, and it is apparent that some cost-cutter has made changes to the design. With these, I cannot tell the 2 year old tool from the 9 year old tool.

I see by my Amazon account that I also bought a similar-looking CARTMAN Premium Tire Pressure Gauge a few years ago. I remember that it was not accurate and was not as easy to use so I threw it out.

I can vouch for G.H. Meiser’s Accu Gage lineup. For years the model# S60X was my go to. Sears (don’t get me started! I’m going to cry at just the mention of that name) Good old Sears sold the S60X for under $20USD.

Then, about three years ago, I decided to look into digital gauges I’d read about. I was excited about having a gauge with a readout down to the one-tenth PSI, that could also be switched to read kPA or Bar, should I take it with me to countries using those scales of measurement.

So with my pandemic stimulus checks in 2020, I purchased DIYCO’s D1, and later, Jaco’s ElitePro Digital model. Both can be had for under $30 on Amazon(since you can’t walk into a store anymore and buy these!).

Both have illuminated displays, and I think, most of the same internal circuitry. Plus a button on the neck to bleed air.

But my excitement of having one-tenth PSI resolution was slowly over come by how finicky these digitals are at dialing in exactly 32.000 psi, or whatever.

One of the search results for a digital tire gauge was from a brand ‘Longacre Racing’. And as I thumbed through Longacre’s catalog, I became aware of their extensive lineup of analog clock-face gauges. And so I ordered, yes, with my stimulus proceeds! Longacre’s Deluxe # 52-52003 model, 5-60psi gauge.

When I unwrapped it, I was impressed not just by its professional apperance, but its heft, and construction quality! Glow in the dark face, 1psi and half-psi tick marks you’d have to be blind to not easily interpret. Thick rubber boot surrounding the huge - to me anyway - dial face.

And the functionality: The smooth upward and downward sweep of the needle as I read and bled tires. Internally dampened, according to Longacre’s literature.

“Reasonably priced”? Well, if under $100 is reasonable for what I consider not just another tire gauge, but an investment, then go for it.

The more I used this heavy, accurate and repeatable gauge, the less I touched my digital collection - except to check my 60psi spare - since those gauges are rated up to 100psi or more. The dial on the Longacres is so easy to read, I felt I could set cold tire pressures as precisely, and with none of the fuss of, as with the aforementioned digital gauges. I will probably purchase their 100psi Deluxe model, just to have something that can check temporary spare donuts, as well as reserve range for most SUVs and light trucks I check pressure on.

Two months ago, I plunked down $12 for Milton’s simple #921 plunger ‘stick’ style 5-50psi gauge, just so I could say I own a Milton! Just as repeatable and consistent as the Longacre, but might not be as intuitive or easy to interpret the reading. You have to look at the value right up against the plastic boot that shows just past the end of the metal body of the gauge, and that is your indicated pressure. Milton is a domestic make worthy of its reputation and build quality. There is a subtle difference to the weight and build quality of a simple Milton stick gauge, as opposed to a $3-5 generic brand stick kit.

So there’s a long-winded tour of my tire gauge arsenal, the good, bad, ugly, the cheap, and the expensive, but in my estimation, worth every penny.

2 Likes

So you spent a lot of money and time to just check tire pressure . Me thinks you need a different hobby.

1 Like