'17 Sonata TPMS dashboard indicator malfunction

Did the dealer ever answer why the number display “grayed out”?

Yeah I get what you’re saying and I would agree that there may be a variance. However right now the display has the tire pressure numbers GRAYED OUT so there’s something wrong and I just want it fixed.

Nevada_545
August 2 |

deckm00:They were 36/37. The tires had no more than 34psi because I checked it some weeks before and hadn’t added any air since.
You believe the tire pressure monitor is off by 2 PSI? They are not going to try to fix that. The tire pressure increases by 3 to 5 PSI while you drive so the pressure would be 37 PSI or higher when you arrived at the dealer. What you measured weeks earlier may be different today. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

deckm00
August 2 |

They were 36/37. The tires had no more than 34psi because I checked it some weeks before and hadn’t added any air since. Nevada_545 August 2 | What were the pressure values displayed after the oil change when they stated it was working? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. In Rep… Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Can’t you go somewhere with an air supply, check your tires, check the display, let air out of one, repeat. You’ll have your answer in five minutes, max.

Request to the OP. Could you post to the forum because when you do it by email it is not easily read.

1 Like

Here’s the tire pressure gauge Ray recommends. $23 at CarTalk.com

https://shop.npr.org/products/car-talk-analog-dial-tire-gauge

But still no answer to why the display grayed out.

It could be something as simple as a brightness adjustment. How do we know? But checking whether it works or not is easy.

Exactly but that was the other half of his original question, if you can’t read the numbers the rest of the question is moot.

With some systems the numbers turn orange or red when the pressures incorrect, what do grey numbers indicate?

Perhaps your display is not showing any pressure values, only boxes. That is common when first starting the vehicle, it can take a short distance of driving to wake up the transmitters to send signals. If the display has not been showing pressures for a period of time, one of the tire pressure sensors may be failing.

It would help your service department if you could explain whether or not the tire pressure display is inoperative, not just inaccurate and how long the display has been blank if that is the case.

Well, it’s confusing. The OP said they could read the numbers but they were greyed out. So the numbers are still legible, it seems.

As others have said, they can go up in pressure. Is this still part of why you think there’s a problem?

Thanks, George! It looks pretty good. Let us know how you like yours as soon as it arrives! :slight_smile:
Then maybe I’ll order one.
CSA

1 Like