15 Nissan Pathfinder Mystery Issues

I need help.
My issues started 3 months ago. First my car didn’t seem to want to start after a long drive. Then it worked. A week later I was driving around for garage sales so lots of frequent stopping. I stayed at the stop sign for a few minutes (small town) then tried to go and it barely went. Eased it over then it suddenly accelerated and then slowed again. I decided to back up and same things happened. A few hours later I was able to get my car going. Took it to my local mechanic and had the battery changed. A couple of weeks later I took it about 45 min away. Before leaving town I gassed up with the engine on since my newborn was in the car. Tried to leave the gas station and my car stalled on the road. When it stalls the radio and stuff is still working just can’t move the car. An hour later I got it to go where I got about 15 miles out and it stalled on the highway shortly after a brief stop and turn. I got my car back an hour later and it drove just fine back. Only seen the check engine light come on for a split second. Another time we were stuck in traffic. Car would “sputter” forward ever so slightly when on the gas. Parked it and after a few restarting attempts it started back up enough to move passed the stop sign. Then it did it two more times before able to leave town. I have driven it short distances with minimal issues. I went 20 miles the other day and it started to slow down until I stopped it and started it back up and moved forward slightly, on the third attempt it went no issues. Fine on the way home. I had my oil changed and brakes changed. Today I drove half a mile to pick up my kids and it slowed down when almost home. Crept it to my slightly inclined drive way. Where there didn’t seem to be enough power to go up the incline. Turned off engine and back on. Tried to accelerate and nothing. Then suddenly it went. All these times when I try to accelerate I will literally be pedal to the metal. Sometimes it doesn’t go. Sometimes it barely goes. Sometimes I have to let it sit and others just a few restarts. Sometimes the check engine light flashes for a split seconds and maybe I don’t notice it other times… idk. Sometimes it’s just fine and other days it’s worse.
Everyone I’ve spoken to is stumped. No one knows what’s wrong. I paid for a diagnostic test done by Nissan. They gave me a list of costs. Only major issue on the list was the CVT. Basically he said the transmission wasn’t throwing a code but it “was” on a special test thingy they did… idk. Said that it was starting to go out but that I needed to replace the transmission. Said it could fail any day up to years. Idk I feel like they are yanking my chain. Maybe the transmission is starting to fail but I don’t believe it’s the cause of my current issues. Btw I do hear some sort of sound when driving. Sounds like it’s coming from the back. I thought that was my breaks before but I got new ones now. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I expect you are experiencing a transmission problem of some sort, but the reluctance to start could be a problem with the evap system. You mention you fill the tank w/the engine running. You car’s computer controls the evap system valves, opens and closes them as necessary, and it may not know what to do if you fuel refill while the engine is running. For best help here, suggest to ask your shop to read out any diagnostic codes stored in computer memory, either active, pending, or history, then post the code numbers. Also a good idea to ask shop do a fuel trim test and post the results here.

Have a shop connect a scanner that’s capable of looking for history and pending codes to see if any have been stored.

Tester

1 Like

The one thing that would help you never mentioned… When you put your foot to the floor, did the engine rev way up or bog down, or was there any change in the engine rpms???

3 Likes

No change in rpm’s when that happens.

I will check with my guy again! Thank you.
I also noticed now that my remote start doesn’t work anymore. Just figured this out so Havnt investigated. Do you think the evap thing could be why?

Unlikely to be the cause.

Any active PCM fault will disable the remote start, including an evaporative emission system leak.

You seem to be experiencing a lack of power due to a weak fuel pump or a throttle control problem, how long would a technician need to drive the vehicle to observe this?

Note to OP. Nevada above is an actual pro-mechanic. I’m just a driveway diy’er with no remote-start experience. I’m sort of surprised a minor evap problem would automatically disable a car’s remote start function though.

2 Likes

Finally got a code from my mechanic after an episode close to home today.
P17f0

Finally a code
P17F0
I have an appointment with a transmission shop in a couple of days!
I appreciate the help as so I don’t get screwed over.
Any ideas or tips with this code?

Tester

No experience w/that code, but you are welcome to use the forum search feature here, maybe somebody else has already posted about it. There have been quite a few posts about Nissan automatic transmissions here.

As to as how to increase your odds for a good outcome, suggest to focus your efforts on finding a well-recommended independent transmission shop. Ask your regular mechanics which is the best transmission shop in the area, the shop they’d take their own car to.

NISSAN RECALL CAMPAIGN BULLETIN (nhtsa.gov)

I do not think this is a recall but just a TSB.

If the OP’s Pathfinder is a hybrid there is a recall for a software issue that causes drivability issues but not for the ICE only version.

1 Like